* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The EpicInstrumentalOpener to "Narcolepsy," and the beginning of "Erase Me."
** Also, see EarWorm.
** "Steven's Last Night In Town" combines the trio with the Klezmer group the Klezmatics, making it epic.
* DontShootTheMessage: In song example. "Jesusland" is about Jesus [[SecondComing returning]] and becoming appalled at the people who claim to believe in him.
* EarWorm: [[LyricalDissonance "You Don't Know Me"]], with ReginaSpektor.
** Do It Anyway
** "Draw A Crowd."
* EpicRiff: Ben frequently does a piano version; notable ones include "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces", "Annie Waits", and "Philosophy".
* FaceOfTheBand: Even some hardcore BFF fans would be hard pressed to name one other member of the band (Robert Sledge is the bassist and Darren Jessee is the drummer, for the record). This despite Darren writing or co-writing several of their songs. Some even think there's [[NonIndicativeName five]] of them.
* SignatureSong: Ben Folds Five's is "Brick", while Ben's solo would probably be either "Landed" or "Rockin' the Suburbs".
* StrangledByTheRedString: [[DiscussedTrope Discussed]] and inverted while still played straight in "From Above", a song about two people who keep running into each-other, know that they should be together, but end up marrying other people and living unfufilling lives.