** If you take all the dialogue trees as being in-character for Byuu, it becomes apparent that he's a two-faced manipulative JerkAss who toys with the emotions of those around him for fun. He has no objection to torturing suspects, and happily hires assassins to take out his "friends" just to amuse himself. He's a sociopathic recluse who cares for nothing except his dragons, and maybe Frederica. He also [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking steals mushrooms!]]
** Princess Yoyo. Is she simply a naive, inexperienced, yet nice woman who just happened to get tangled in an unfortunate LoveDodecahedron or is it something else? The narrative seems to lean toward the latter. However, portions of the fanbase often picture her a selfish, two-timing slut, among other things. Not helping was the fact that it was (and still is) rather uncommon for a young male protagonist to [[DidNotGetTheGirl NOT end up with the main female lead]], particularly of the [[UnluckyChildhoodFriend childhood friend variety]].
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: The game has a somewhat unique soundtrack among SNES RPG's, being kind of jazzy as per the stylings of Noriko Matsueda. The [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPugQHTQ5Q battle theme will stay with you for a while.]]
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Frederica, if her ending ''second'' in the VideoGame Saimoe is any indication. Might explain the below point.
* FanPreferredCouple: The Japanese fans ship Byuu and Frederica despite there being little evidence, and Byuu and Yoyo, who broke up in-game.
* GameBreaker: You can feed the dragons items to power them up and give them new forms. One of Salamander's forms is called Phoenix, and it is literally invulnerable. Just give it the command Go, and it will destroy every enemy on the map for you while you sit on the sidelines. (Technically, since dragons in Bahamut Lagoon are linked to a unit of soldiers, it's still possible for Salamander's final form to be beaten indirectly if his soldiers are all killed... but as a practical matter, you can just hide them in the corner of the map while your invincible dragon kills everything for you. And the AI isn't smart enough to take advantage of this.)
** In Japan, Princess Yoyo has been firmly lodged at the top of Square's unholy trinity of most hated female characters above even [[VideoGame/LiveALive Princess Alicia]] and [[VideoGame/MakaiToshiSaGa Mireille]]. And sometimes jokingly [[VideoGame/FinalFantasyVIII Rinoa]].
** This game may have inspired 2chan's constantly used VaderBreath meme.
* RonTheDeathEater: Yoyo is positively despised by a good portion of people who have played the game (which, in North America, translates to [[NoExportForYou not many]]) for choosing another man over the [[UnluckyChildhoodFriend main character Byuu]]. While she certainly could have handled the LoveTriangle better, its not rare to find her being portrayed as a selfish slut where in game, she's more of a naive DudeMagnet.
** Princess Yoyo (see AlternateCharacterInterpretation above), mostly because of sexism.
** Palpaleos occasional gets this as well, mostly due to association with the above.
* UglyCute: They were aiming for a Moogle-like RidiculouslyCuteCritter (might have even ''been'' moogles at one stage in development), but the Minidevils were more this, judging by their artwork.
* UnfortunateCharacterDesign: Yoyo's first battle sprite. It makes her look like she has a giant chin (which is, in fact, her neck).
* UrbanLegendOfZelda: It was rumored that this game was a prototype of VideoGame/FinalFantasyTactics but there isn't any evidence to support this.