* AdaptationDisplacement: While most of the Tezuka characters who show up here did make earlier stateside debuts in one form or another (even if only as extras in other Astroboy productions), for a time this was what all of them (with the possible exception of Manga/BlackJack, whose OAV series enjoyed modest success in the West during the late 90s/early 00s anime boom) were best known for in the English-speaking world, though Vertical Inc.'s recent blitz of high quality Tezuka manga translations has done a lot to change that.
* FridgeBrilliance: The FinalBoss music is titled "World's Strongest Robot". This both refers to Pluto, as he's the leader of the "World's Strongest Robots"; and [[spoiler:Garon, who the Character List refers to as "the most powerful super robot sent to Earth"]].
* NoProblemWithLicensedGames: Easily one of the greatest licensed games ever made.
* TearJerker: The death of Dr. Tenma's son, Tobio; And him grieving for his son as he creates Astro in his image. And this is the ''first scene'' in the game.
** The first ending of the game, where Death Mask arrives and destroys all robots on Earth, [[spoiler:including Astro]]; leaving behind a world completely ravaged by years of war between humans and robots. [[spoiler:Don't worry though, it's not over yet...]]
** The story of Daichi and Prime Rose. Which becomes even more so when you learn later that the two of them aren't actually gone.
** Drake himself is truly a tragic villain, having been pushed over the edge entirely by the belief that his daughter was kidnapped and killed by a robot, leading to his hatred of robots with him vowing to do everything in his power to avenge her death.
** North in Hard Mode, mostly because his first phase basically forces you to waste all three of your Supers.
** Atlas, when fighting him with Dr. Black Jack at the bottom of the map, which leaves you with less space to fight him.
** The jousting duel with Blue Knight, which requires landing a few hits while being a OneHitPointWonder regardless of your life level. Part of this is due to being a GuideDangIt, and another part is due to having to replay a lot of the level if you die.
* TheUntwist: [[spoiler:Blue Knight being President Rag. The gratuitous flashback makes it screamingly obvious.]]