* HarsherInHindsight: Post-9/11, this movie can become ''really'' uncomfortable to watch.
* MoralEventHorizon: The villains are implied to have crossed that long before the start of the movie.
* NightmareFuel: If a kid walking down the road with his hand blown off isn't this then what is?
* ParanoiaFuel: The whole film.
* SheReallyCanAct: Joan Cusack, who's usually associated with comedic roles, absolutely sells the creepiness in her scene with Hope Davis, who plays Bridges' love interest, when they ran into each other outside of a shopping mall.
-->''Brooke had just left Michael a message confirming his suspicions about the Langs. When she hangs up, she turns, only to run into Cheryl, who seems happy to see her.''
-->'''Cheryl Lang (with a forced grin):''' ...I knew it was you! Hi! (Brooke says hi) What are you doing here?
-->'''Brooke:''' Just shopping! What are ''you'' doing here?
-->'''Cheryl (quickly staring away and back at her):''' ''Shopping.''
-->'''Cheryl:''' Yeah. (Cheryl's face grows sad.)
-->[[spoiler:Brooke dies off-screen later.]]