* DracoInLeatherPants: There are people who hope that the King will [[spoiler: survive his stab wound and]] live a normal life.
* DarknessInducedAudienceApathy: The series tries so hard to be dark that it can cause this.
* EsotericHappyEnding: The ending of the manga is played as fully happy, with [[spoiler:Tsubasa reconciling with Arisa and their mother and Arisa finding true love with Midori]]. This ignores that [[spoiler:Midori was an ax-crazy killer who manipulated everyone, ''including'' Arisa]], and she doesn't seem to have learned anything from the experience. The bright side is that at the least, [[spoiler:Midori will be on the path of recovery]].
* ParanoiaFuel: The series in general plays on this.
** Tsubasa, Shiori, and others being bullied and ostracized for going against the King.
** They act nasty to varying degrees, but the backgrounds of the King's pawns are very sad. Especially Mariko, whose FriendlessBackground is easy to relate to.
* UncannyValley: Kudo's CheshireCatGrin. [[spoiler:It's even worse when Midori does it]].
* UnfortunateImplications: [[http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/arisa/gn-11 This review]] points out how [[spoiler:the King being EasilyForgiven and Arisa realizing she loves him after all he's done]] is similar to StockholmSyndrome and that by all accounts it's an unsettling, unhealthy relationship.
* WhatAnIdiot: The police arrest [[spoiler: Midori]]... and they don't think to frisk or handcuff him. He ends up [[spoiler: stabbing Arisa and running away.]]
* WhatDoYouMeanItsForKids: It's a shoujo manga, but is ''very'' dark.