* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: [[spoiler: When Anderson and Walker are driving to the Soviet LK and Walker crashes the rover, the footage slows down to show several boulders turning into larger versions of the alien spiders. This is never commented on, and the large spiders are never seen again.]]
* NightmareRetardant: [[spoiler: The movie's kinda creepy until you realize that the monsters are ''rocks.'']]
* ParanoiaFuel: [[spoiler: The movie ends with a note on how many moon rocks were given to foreign diplomats as gifts, and are now either stolen or missing. And since we know that any moon rock could be one of the alien parasites...]]
* SovietSuperscience: Apparently the Soviets sent a man to the moon around the same time the Americans did, and kept it a secret for obvious reasons.
* SpecialEffectsFailure: The lunar landscape, landing module and suits all look fairly good... right up until the astronauts start moving, at which point it is very, ''very'' obvious they're on a soundstage. Seriously, ''Film/TheAdventuresOfPlutoNash'' put more effort into simulating the effects of lower gravity on-screen.
* TearJerker: [[spoiler:Ben desperately pleading with Houston to bring him home.]]