* HeartwarmingMoments: When Anya comforts Dima.
* IronWoobie: Dima.
** The cover of the book is pretty unnerving once you look at it twice.
** [[spoiler:After the reveal, Emily becomes frightening.]]
** [[spoiler:The wordless illustrations on pages 154-155 that show a crying, angry Emily burning down the house of her crush and his girlfriend. Her expression is what really seals it.]]
** [[spoiler:Emily's picture in the newspaper is terrifying. Maybe it's just because it's the first time she's seen with pupils, or just as a normal person, but the dark circles and murderous expression kind of just hits you.]]
** [[spoiler: While this it counts more FridgeHorror and AdultFear but the idea your children are AloneWithThePsycho and you don't know about it is pretty damn terrifying.]]
* TearJerker: [[spoiler: Emily's last rant and departure.]]
* ViewerGenderConfusion: Apart from the obscure feminine name and a couple fleeting snippets of dialogue, it can be hard for some readers to tell that Siobhan's a girl. It doesn't help that she wears a necktie and the male school uniform.
* TheWoobie: YMMV, but arguably Emily - with the whole backstory of being murdered and stuck in a well as a ghost for ninety years. [[spoiler: ...but then, of course, we find out she was lying about her past]]
*** [[spoiler: Emily might be more of a JerkassWoobie if anything. Anya may technically count too.]]
** Dima. Poor, poor little Dima.
** [[spoiler:[[LoveMartyr Elizabeth]]]].
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: After the scene where [[spoiler: Elizabeth confesses to being a miserable Love Martyr towards her awful boyfriend, she is not seen again and her storyline is left there.]]