* CriticalDissonance: The film has quite a fanbase for a movie with a 36% rotten on Website/RottenTomatoes. It was also a favorite of Roger Ebert.
* HarsherInHindsight: In-story. Angus' offhanded comment that Melissa is "Probably off somewhere puking her guts out" at the thought of dancing with him becomes a lot darker after she confides in him that she's suffering from bulimia.
* OneSceneWonder: [[Film/WestSideStory Rita]] [[Series/TheElectricCompany1971 Moreno]] as dance instructor Madame Rulenska.
** The magnet school interviewer who comes to see Angus, by virtue of being one of the more over-the-top characters in the film, from his cross-eyed stare to his humorous deadpan mannerisms.
* WhatAnIdiot: Even though Angus is strong enough to overpower Rick and break his nose multiple times from childhood to high school, Rick continuously harasses and bullies Angus despite the fact that he gets beaten down almost every time. Most bullies tend to back off when they realize their victims can successfully fight back and defend themselves. Rick, despite years of getting broken noses from Angus, never seems to learn from his encounters and realize that picking on Angus is pretty much BullyingADragon.
* TheWoobie: Even though he doesn't take much shit from Rick, it's hard to not feel sorry for Angus at times, especially the times when he pours his heart out to his grandpa. Angus' best bud Troy moreso, because he's a little guy and can't fight back (though he's [[TheNapoleon somewhat mouthy]]).