* HollywoodHomely: In-universe case. Yuri is considered ''very'' beautiful in Japan, but in Anatolia she's barely seen as average-looking.
** Also progressively subverted, in-universe. As the story goes on and Yuri becomes more and more popular, descriptions of her become increasingly flattering.
* IronWoobie: Kail, Yuri, Rusafa.
** Kail goes through the sickness [[spoiler:and death]] of his father, [[spoiler:the death of his favorite brother and the apparent death of Yuri at the hands of the Egyptians]], the evil schemes of his stepmother, and generally works as hard as he can to end the wars and suffering spread throughout his homeland. And while he loves Yuri and wants her to stay with him, he still refuses to force her to stay, thinking that she ought to go back to her family and boyfriend in her own time.
** Yuri, meanwhile, is kidnapped from her home, nearly murdered and raped multiple times, and quickly sees how corrupt and evil Nakia is. After extremely awkward beginnings she responds by learning how to fight physically and mentally, going to war to protect the people of Hattusa, and vowing to see to it that Nakia pays for everything she has done.
** Poor Rustafa is utterly smitten with Yuri, to the point where he does just about ''anything'' for her. He knows that she loves Kail though, and doesn't so much as say a word about his feelings for her. In her name, he fights battles [[spoiler:shoots Urhi in the eye (with a bow that requires three men to bend!)]], and humbles himself before the Egyptians [[spoiler:so they can bring Ramses to ensure Yuri's care and survival after she nearly drowns and miscarries]]. He's brainwashed by Nakia into kidnapping Yuri, [[spoiler:but despite being ordered to do all the things to her he wanted to, he still can't bring himself to do more than kiss her feet]]. He's nearly killed and his reputation is in tatters after the kidnapping. [[spoiler:And by the end of the manga, he is still so utterly in love with Yuri (despite her marrying Kail) that he sacrifices himself to protect her from Nakia.]]
* IdiotBall: Yuri once runs with it when, despite having just survived an assassination attempt from the [[EvilSorceress evil magic queen]], she runs straight into her lair in an attempt to get her clothes back.
** She gets it again when she hears that there's someone posing as a fake Ishtar, trying to damage Kail's reputation, and hurries to put an end to it. The idiot part comes in when she forgets to actually bring any proof she's the real concubine of Kail, which means that nobody recognizes her and thus ignore her. Kail even lampshades this at the end, pointing out that if Yuri had simply presented herself as a princess, none of it would have happened.
** Ursula is this, after revealing that she agreed to impersonate Yuri and ruin her reputation because after watching her family die of ThePlague and suffering through poverty, she was desperate to know wealth for ''any'' amount of time. She then becomes Yuri's lady-in-waiting, and by the time [[spoiler: she dies in an HeroicSacrifice]] she has evolved into an IronWoobie.
** Nakia herself was this when she was a teenager. She was willful and sullen, but she was also forced to marry a man old enough to be her father, who rules the country that she views as her homeland of Babylon's sworn enemy. When she marries him, she ends up lonely in a foreign land, surrounded by a royal family who was already close-knit and had no need for her. Also, when she finally had a son by the king, she faced rumors that the child was illegitimate.
* MagnificentBitch: Nakia is very smart, very manipulative, ''very'' skilled in magic, and a fearsome foe for Kail and specially Yuri. However, she actually UsedToBeASweetKid.
* TheWoobie: Poor Juda is a sweet kid who genuinely support's Kail's bid for the throne, because he thinks it's best for Hattusa. No matter how hard he tries to help out with looking after his home, and no matter how much he makes it clear that he is not interested in being king, his mother continues to kill and plot evil towards his half-brothers and Yuri, while he tries to stop her (at one point, he sadly confesses that he knows his mother is capable of [[spoiler:poisoning his oldest half-brother, now the new king, as he goes to help Yuri foil the plan]]). And ultimately, [[spoiler:his own mother brainwashes him, because he refuses to play along with her plotting.]]