* CompleteMonster: [[MagnificentBastard Paul Sarone]] is a former priest from Paraguay who decided to become a [[EvilPoacher snake poacher]] in the Amazon, catching them for rich clients. He arranged with his old hunting partner Matteo to lure a documentary film crew to a giant, man-eating Anaconda's home territory to use them as bait for the hunt. He incapacitates the team leader with a poisonous wasp before saving his life to win the crew's trust and offers them a "shortcut" that leads right into the snake's territory. The passengers are picked off one by one by the Anaconda, which crushes its prey in its coils before [[EatenAlive slowly digesting them alive]]. Sarone [[ManipulativeBastard manipulates one of them]] into becoming his "[[WeCanRuleTogether partner]]", but he sacrifices the guy without a second thought when he prevents the others from shooting the snake when it grabs his ally, because he can't make a profit off a dead animal. He strangles a woman to death with his thighs when she's come to get revenge for her dead boyfriend. He is ultimately overthrown but escapes, and captures two of the remaining people inside the Anaconda's feeding grounds. He douses them with monkey blood and tries to feed them to the snake so he can trap it, while mocking their impending deaths.
* HilariousInHindsight: Music/JenniferLopez, a woman famous for [[StuffyOldSongsAboutTheButtocks her butt]], starring in a film called ''[[Music/NickiMinaj Anaconda]]''.
* MagnificentBastard: Paul Sarone plays everyone like a fiddle in his quest for the snake. Only the expedition leader momentarily catches on to his play, but is none the wiser as Sarone paralyzes him with a poisonous wasp. He set up the whole thing with Matteo from the start, while keeping the clueless passengers in the dark that they were to be used as bait. He suggests to Owen Wilson's character that [[WeCanRuleTogether he needs a partner and they could split the profits]], them lets the Anaconda eat him as soon as his prize is at stake. He's proven correct pretty much every time the crew decide not to take his advice. He seems to [[FaceDeathWithDignity accept his impending death]] by a vengeful killer, only to swiftly murder her when she hesitates. His manipulation is so effective that he never needs to resort to outright violence until they finally catch on to him.
* NarmCharm: Creator/JonVoight's performance as Paul Sarone is absurdly over the top and its clear that whoever thought that casting Voight as a character with a thick ambiguously South American accent was a good idea was probably high. That said, in a film where the rest of the cast is so clearly apathetic about their performances its not hard to find yourself mesmerized by [[LargeHam the pure and total hamminess]] of Voight's performance simply because unlike the rest of the cast he's actually trying. Winking at the heroes as if to say, "I told you so" (and maybe "''You're next!''"), when regurgitated by the snake is probably the high point of the film.
** Voight's portrayal [[FridgeBrilliance actually kind of makes sense]] if you look at it as him trying to channel Brando as Colonel Kurtz in ''Film/ApocalypseNow''. Towards the end, he even loses the accent and talks for a few minutes in a Brando-like voice.
** ''Anaconda'': Between the weightless CGI models and the dull, dead-looking animatronics (though one ''could'' say that the CGI snakes are at least better than the animatronics), the anacondas are ''not'' inspiring fear. Especially silly is the short tussle between an anaconda and a jaguar, which looks like a wrestling match broke out at a taxidermist's office.
** That said, the moment the snake leaps from a tree to snatch a victim midair falling from a cliff is just ''awesome''.
** ''Hunt for the Blood Orchid'' may have had terrible CGI, but it doesn't compare to the sequels that followed it up.
* SoBadItsGood: Many viewers consider this film laughably stupid. Creator/RogerEbert was one of the film's biggest supporters in this regard, often referring to it as "great trash" while sincerely praising the cinematography and premise.
* TheUntwist: Paul spends so much time being a creepy perverted South American, but who is DangerouslyGenreSavvy, some expect him to actually be the good guy. Nope, he's a CardCarryingVillain.