* BrokenBase: The manga's character design is seen as really pretty or quite ugly.
* DieForOurShip: Some people really have it in for Kureha...
* EndingAversion: The ending upset a lot of different fan factions for different reasons:
** The people who were reading for the mystery arc thought that the final explanation was simply too silly and bizarre.
** The shippers were unhappy that [[spoiler:Mashiro and Sou end up in the real world but with no knowledge of each other or memory of their love]].
** The people who were reading for the exploration of ambiguous gender thought that the revelation that [[spoiler:Mashiro's gender ambiguity is because they are actually fraternal twin foetuses sharing a mind]] meant that the situation was either reactionary or too fantastic to have any real-world relevance.
* HoYay: Between Sou and Mashiro, who doesn't belong to either sex but identifies as male. Sometimes. That's sort of the entire point of Mashiro's journey. [[spoiler: And by the end, Mashiro identifies as female, full stop.]]
** Some consider Kureha x Mashiro to be LesYay.
* NightmareFuel: [[http://www.mangafox.com/manga/after_school_nightmare/v09/c035/19.html Oh dear god.]]
* ValuesDissonance: The way Mashiro's gender identity is handled can come across as offensive to some Western readers, to the point where a few actually stopped reading.