* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: One of, if not THE best soundtrack of the series. [[AwesomeMusic/AceCombat Which is saying quite a lot!]] Favors a more Western-inspired orchestral score over the Rock/Electronic tracks in the previous games, all of which is composed by many signature composers of the Namco Sound Team. This entry is also significant for being the game in which Keiki Kobayashi became the main composer of the series, a position that until that point had Tetsukazu Nakanishi (although he still played a major role). Other composers were Junichi Nakatsuru (the main composer of the SoulSeries), Hiroshi Okubo, and even new assets like Katsuro Tajima and the ''[=ACE COMBAT5=] Chorus Team''. All of which performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra. Throw in a few of the classic synth/guitar segments from the previous games, some OminousLatinChanting, and an OscarBait theme song performed by Creator/MaryElizabethMcGlynn to boot, and you get pure distilled ''awesome''. Some highlights:
** [[http://youtu.be/cgNGtGI-XbM First Flight]]
** [[http://youtu.be/0tdQ_cttZ8g Open War]] (not to be confused with [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3g6YxS6LSA Open The War]])
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Qkzj5bStU The Unsung War]]
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQrkZtg-mo The Journey Home]].
* GameBreaker: The Raptor or any fighter with [=XMAAs=] or [=XLAAs=] in the final mission becomes a literal example where the first fight can be finished in about ten seconds. It's supposed to last much longer, but get it right and the in game speech cannot keep up with you winning so easily.
** Even better if you take the FALKEN and its TLS to the final mission - one sweep of it through the enemy aces, a few minutes of uninterrupted monologue, and then ''cutting the goddamned SOLG in half'' with another sweep.
** Oddly enough the UGB, and only for the last mission on the assault on SOLG specifically. A single direct hit on SOLG can take out half or more of the designated targets and makes what should be a challenging mission a breeze. The developers of the game likely didn't anticipate this because the UGB is an air-to-ground weapon only and the SOLG can only be locked on with air-to-air weapons (though being an unguided weapon, that doesn't exactly stop the UGB from being able to hit it).
* LargeHam: [[spoiler:Allen Hamilton, Ashley Bernitz, and Michael Heimeroth in the last missions.]]
* StopHelpingMe: Some of the allies in the game can get like this, when they have an annoying habit of asking you trivial questions at the absolute worst times, ''especially'' Chopper. (Worse yet, in Mission 10 [[spoiler:answering his seemingly irrelevant "Face of the Coin" question [[GuideDangIt chooses your next two missions without stating as much or giving any clue as to which two missions those are]]. One path gets you the alright ones, the other gets you the [[ThatOneLevel Four Horsemen]]]].)
* SurprisinglyImprovedSequel: To ''04'', being about twice as long as any other game thus far, and also adding the new squadron control mechanics and a more character-driven narrative, this game often ends up as many fans' favorite. On the flip side, the same two attributes mentioned above are why some other fans dislike it.
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotPolitical: The anti-war stance the game takes has some think it is a commentary on UsefulNotes/GeorgeWBush and TheWarOnTerror. While there may be a grain of truth in there, if anything it is closer to the UsefulNotes/ColdWar.