* AnticlimaxBoss: The governor. [[ImplacableMan Reza on the other hand]]...
* SugarWiki/AwesomeMusic: Music/EnnioMorricone at his usual finest throughout. It's worth noting the score has often received more recognition than the actual movie.
* CompleteMonster: [[ColonelBadass Colonel]] [[ANaziByAnyOtherName GŁnther]] "[[TheStoic Gutierez]]" [[TheHeavy Reza]] is a [[SilentAntagonist silent villain]] who, throughout the movie, doesn't express a single emotion beyond self-satisfaction. He tortures Dr. Villega into identifying various members of a crowd as revolutionaries, then has them shot in front of him, smiling a little wider with each body that hits the ground. He's also the man responsible for [[spoiler:the deaths of Juan's children and father]], singlehandedly causes the film to shift from BlackComedy to serious drama, leads an army that seems intent on [[SociopathicSoldier killing or imprisoning everyone they meet]], and in the climax, guns down [[spoiler:Mallory]] from behind. This, coupled with his ImplacableMan status makes him utterly terrifying.
* MoralEventHorizon: Colonel Reza and the Mexican army cross it with the [[spoiler:murder of Juan's children.]]
* OvershadowedByAwesome: Has the misfortune of falling in between two of Leone's most celebrated films.