* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: As evidence of just how much people like Creator/MichaelPalin, audiences came up with excuses like "she must not have been a very nice old lady" to try and maintain Palin as a nice guy in their minds.
* CoolCar: Archie's Jaguar [=XJ12=] H.E. (5.3 litre V12, the most expensive model after the Daimler Double Six)
* ComedyGhetto: Kevin Kline's Oscar was a rare win for a comedic role.
* CrossesTheLineTwice: Ken's repeated attempts to kill an old lady, accidentally killing her dogs in the process (much to his despair, being an animal lover).
** DVD extras show that another running gag was dropped completely wherein Otto practices him marksmanship whenever he hears a cat by shooting it's tail off (you see him shoot off screen then hear a yowl but later see him arranging the tails like flowers in a vase). It was dropped because combined with all the cruelty to dogs as well it really was crossing too many lines.
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Otto is an absolute blast to behold, thanks to Kevin Kline's fantastic scenery chewing and the wonderfully absurd nature of his jingoism. As mentioned above, the character was so great that it netted Kline an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.
** There's also a great deal of love for Michael Palin's Ken, which won him a Best Supporting Actor prize from BAFTA.
* HilariousInHindsight: A ''fish'' called ...[[WesternAnimation/TheFairlyOddParents Wanda]]?