* BrokenBase: Their hardcore punk early albums vs. their later goth rock based "emo" albums. Also, Davey Havok's more feminine vocal style to compensate for his aged vocal chords seems to be the subject for quite ugly debates in Youtube comments.
* FanCommunityNickname: The Despair Faction
* HoYay: They love making suggestive jokes during interviews. Davey also tends to be rather publicly affectionate with his male friends compared to most other straight guys.
* ItsPopularNowItSucks: Their major-label debut coincided with a major change in sound. Overlaps with TheyChangedItNowItSucks below.
* LoudnessWar: ''Burials'' has got to be their least earphones-friendly track. There are lots of complex background parts, especially in songs' choruses, not one of which is quiet or calm. The mix is a little bit messy.
* MagnumOpus: Generally considered to be ''Sing the Sorrow''.
* NightmareFuel: The spoken word hidden track at the end of ''Sing the Sorrow''.
* TheyChangedItNowItSucks: Given the fact that their sound from the beginning of their career to the present day has pretty much completely changed (even consecutive albums can sound substantially different,) it's to be expected that a fan of a particular album might not like all or any of the others. See ItsPopularNowItSucks.
* TrueArtIsIncomprehensible: Try to figure out what their short film "Clandestine" is about. Just try.