* AlasPoorScrappy: Jason wasn't exactly the most favored character, but lots of fans thought his FamilyUnfriendlyDeath was... a bit too much.
** Which was arguably the point - fans wanting to see Todd written out of the series [[GoneHorriblyRight got precisely]] [[BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor what they wanted]], courtesy of...
* CompleteMonster: SelfDemonstrating/TheJoker
* ItWasHisSled: Jason's death.
* MoralEventHorizon: Again, The Joker, as he as he brutally tortures Jason Todd (the second Robin) right in front of his estranged mother Sheila, before killing both in an explosion.
* NeverLiveItDown: Jason has never really lived down the fact that he's ''the'' Robin who got killed off, pun not intended.
** Batman carrying Jason's lifeless body in his arms.
** The ending as a whole.
** Jason still trying to save his estranged mother even with a utterly messed up body after the Joker was done giving him a crowbar beatdown and failing due to both of them being blown up... and they're even smiling before being killed by the explosion.
** [[WhamLine "Robin is dead, murdered by the Joker."]]
* WhatDoYouMeanItsNotPolitical: The story touches on a number of contemporary political and social issues, such as the Lebanese Civil War, the Arab–Israeli conflict, the Ethiopia famine, corruption and the handling of rogue states, the Iran-Contra case, etc.