''Manga/OnePiece'' loves giving its audience a good wham. Here's a recap:
* Early on, the seemingly ordinary Baratie arc gets a surprise visit from a [[WakeUpCallBoss much, much more powerful foe]] that gives readers an idea of how strong people are in this story. Also counts as a GrowingTheBeard moment. That, and the moment Nami spies a wanted poster of Arlong, suddenly starts acting really troubled, and suddenly takes off with the Going Merry unannounced provides a CallForward to the Arlong Park Arc.
* Luffy's first ''and'' second consecutive defeats by Crocodile. The only Straw Hat at that point in the story to be severely beaten was Zoro (by Mihawk), so naturally the main character being handed two defeats in a row out of nowhere (and by being [[ImpaledWithExtremePrejudice impaled by an enormous hook hand]] and then [[TouchOfDeath dried out into a skin-sack]], no less) was pretty surprising for the audience ''and'' the crew (This also marks the first in a long series of epic battles where Luffy pushes himself to the extreme for his friends; a trait that eventually nearly costs him his life hundreds of chapters later).
* The Straw Hats getting [[CurbStompBattle curb-stomped]] by Aokiji at Long Ring Long Land, even as they all teamed up against him, showed that there were characters vastly stronger than any of the main characters. This incident provoked Luffy into finding new ways to get stronger, now that he was aware of people like Aokiji.
* Water 7. The lovable and helpful square-nosed carpenter, the hilarious and BadAss ventriloquist, the sexy secretary, and the kindly bar owner? [[spoiler:Yeah, they're the villains]].
** And that's relatively tame compared to the other plot points : [[spoiler: the Going Merry is revealed to be damaged beyond repair, Robin leaves the crew for then unknown reasons and supposedly betrays the crew, and Usopp, due to both his own fears of being too weak and Luffy's decision to get another ship, not only leaves the crew as well but also ''challenges Luffy for the ownership of the Going Merry'']]. '''''Holy shit'''''. Long before Marineford, Water 7 was also a Wham ''Arc''.
* Nearing the end of the Enies Lobby Arc the Straw Hats are visited by a high ranking Marine, then the identities of [[TheHero Luffy's]] father and grandfather are revealed. [[DidntSeeThatComing And nobody saw that coming.]]
* The closing events of the Thriller Bark Arc provide a CallBack to the little piece of paper Ace gave luffy back in Alabasta, which Nami stitched in the band of his straw hat for safekeeping. It is a special kind of paper called a Vivre Card that people in the New World use to let each other know they're okay no matter how far apart they are. [[spoiler: But if their life is in extreme danger or ending, the paper begins to burn away. Luffy nonchalantly takes Ace's Vivre Card out of his hat to examine it- and '''it''' is burning- and ''has been burning unnoticed for quite some time''. This warns Luffy that Ace is in great peril, since Blackbeard has defeated him and gotten him sent to Impel Down. It would, if he heeded its warning right away, but Luffy doesn't fully understand the implications of the card burning, being new to the idea of the Vivre Card. He also thinks Ace would just get mad if he went to help him, since it would make Ace look weak, upsetting him.]]
* The explosive end of the Sabaody Arc, leading to the events of chapter 513. Quite possibly the greatest Wham in the entire series simply due to how it was delivered; After teleporting Zoro away in the last chapter, Kuma goes on to single-handedly deliver the entire crew their first true defeat (as a team) by teleporting every single last crewmate to several different locations across the globe. And mind you, this was literally right before they were about set sail for the New World. With NO hint by Oda AT ALL that any such thing was about to happen, this left the entire fanbase stunned as the next 88 chapters were focused solely on Luffy's adventures. Jaws were dropped, tears were shed.
** The anime extended the scene, added in a reverse Nakamania montage set to a violin solo version of [[CrowningMusicOfAwesome Binks' Sake]], and to increase the impact for the Anime only crowd followed the scene with a alternate universe filler arc so that you didn't find out what happened to everybody for another few weeks!
** Not to mention a display of Bartholomew Kuma's sheer power, first seen near the end of the Thriller Bark arc--his bounty is lower than Gekko Moriah's, whom Luffy had recently defeated, and Luffy had grown much stronger since fighting Aokiji, but Kuma curb-stomps all of the Straw Hats just as easily as Aokiji did before. This time, however, all of the crewmates saw each other vanishing into thin air, and the chapter ended with the declaration of the Straw Hat Pirates' eradication. It was painfully obvious the series was taking a different and darker direction at that very point.
*** It should be noted, however, that in both cases where Kuma showed up to face them, the Straw Hats were completely exhausted, the first time from having barely defeated Moria, and the second time from having been faced with two extremely powerful robots, an admiral, and a BadassNormal, all of which were [[OneManArmy One-Man Armies]]. Kuma is powerful, sure, but it was never a fair fight.
* The entire Whitebeard War arc can be summarized as a progression of Wham Episodes, each more shocking than the last:
** First of all, Ace being revealed as [[spoiler:the son of the late Pirate King, Gold Roger]].
*** [[spoiler:It really is a big one, considering that there was no indication that Gold Roger had a lover, let alone a child.]]
** Chapter 573. Admiral Akainu punches a hole through [[spoiler:Ace's chest with a magma fist. [[SpoilerTitle The name of Chapter 574?]] "Portgas D. Ace Is Dead"]].
** Okay, so things can't ''possibly'' get any worse now. ''WRONG!!!'' Right after [[spoiler:Ace dies]], Whitebeard orders his men to take Luffy and escape while he makes his last stand against the Marines. [[spoiler:After Akainu blows off half of Whitebeard's face, Blackbeard suddenly shows up with his crew and the most dangerous prisoners from Impel Down. After a brief one-sided fight in Whitebeard's favor, the rest of Blackbeard's crew retaliates with a joint attack, finally killing the old man. After which, Blackbeard does... something while hidden away from anyone else's view, he comes back and reveals that he's now taken Whitebeard's earthquake powers on top of his own darkness-based powers, something that's supposed to be impossible, and proclaims that the new era now belongs to HIM.]] OnePiece might go from being a CrapsaccharineWorld to just a CrapsackWorld. Marineford is ''THE'' Wham ARC!
*** Whitebeard's [[spoiler: dying speech]] drops some major bombs regarding the MythArc. [[spoiler: He confirms that One Piece is out there to the world and that finding it will cause a massive upheaval in the world. He also reflects on how the "wills" of Ace and Roger have been passed down for centuries and specifically excludes [[DirtyCoward Teach]] from that group. In essence, he took the three main mysteries of the series (what One Piece is, what's the Will of D, and the Void history) and strongly implied they are all interlocked.]]
** Let's continue that trend, shall we? Chapter 579 achieves a CrowningMomentOfAwesome as the pathetic wimp Coby [[spoiler:finally snaps under the pressure and shouts at the top of his lungs that all the fighting between the pirates and marines was pointless. This effectively causes ALL OF MARINEFORD to stop fighting to listen in. Coby shouts how continuing this fight no longer means anything. All the pirates and marines who have lost their lives in the senseless fighting would only look like complete idiots in the long run. The Marines had accomplished their goal of killing Ace, but now they insist on fighting off pirates who don't want to fight back, and just extending the battle beyond what it needs to be. He doesn't care if he gets punished by the Marines for his outburst, but he does it anyway. Unfortunately. the Marines insist on fighting further... Then Shanks shows up to put an end to this war]].
* The end of the Fishman Island arc drops a whole bunch of plot points one after the other:
** [[spoiler:Shirahoshi is the Ancient Weapon Poseidon.]]
** [[spoiler:Aokiji and Akainu fought for 10 days over who would become the new fleet admiral, with Akainu being the victor. Worse, it's later made clear who really wanted the position- Akainu maimed Aokiji to the point he's now CoveredInScars and [[AnArmAndALeg down a leg]], replaced with a Devil Fruit power-generated prosthesis made of ice.]]
** [[spoiler:Blackbeard has become one of the Four Emperors and is looking to hunt down powerful Devil Fruit users to take their abilities.]]
** And finally, [[spoiler:Luffy has challenged Big Mom over ownership of Fishman Island.]]
* The Punk Hazard gives us:
** Trafalgar Law is a Warlord.
** Said Warlord is hell-bent on summoning the wrath of one of the Four Emperors- namely, Kaido, the '''most''' savage of them all, [[spoiler:the new owner of the title "Strongest Man Alive" following Whitebeard's death]], and ruthless to the point he even scares ''[[ManipulativeBastard Doflamingo.]]''
** [[spoiler: Smoker has been promoted all the way to the rank of Vice Admiral and even has a color motif (white) like the rest.]]
* Forget the two previous arcs; like Water 7 and Marineford before it, the (as of now current) Dressrosa Arc manages to be a '''wham arc''':
** Chapter 700: [[spoiler: The latest roster of the Seven Warlords of the Sea is (mostly) revealed, including [[FakeUltimateHero Buggy the Clown]], and Doflamingo has Ace's Flame Flame fruit.]]
*** Remember when Doflamingo claimed that he was only a Warlord [[ForTheEvulz for kicks]] and that he could quit any time he feels like it? [[spoiler:Turns out the reason he's not scared of the consequences of this (facing the admirals) is because he's actually a former world noble, and can ''overrule the marines'' if he wants to, which is how he pulled it off.]]
** Chapter 718 reveals [[spoiler:the conflict between the Dwarves of Tontatta Kingdom and the Doflamingo Family began not 10 years ago when Donquixote Doflamingo took over Dressrosa, but over 900 years ago, at the start of the Void Century.]]
** Chapter 730: The Straw Hats [[spoiler: already have their hands full with Doflamingo kidnapping Law after injuring him in the last chapter, but the Thousand Sunny group encounters one more problem: '''''one of Big Mom's ships coming to get Caesar''''']].
** '''''Chapter 731''''': The Dressrosa whams before were big, but none of them top the next one: [[spoiler: '''''Sabo is alive''''']].
** Chapter 735: [[spoiler:Sure, Doflamingo, Admiral Fujitora may be [[EnemyMine willing to work with you now]], but you sure as hell aren't preventing him to '''try to take down the Shichibukai system'''.]]
** Chapter 758: [[spoiler:Usopp awakening his Observation Haki]].
** Chapter 763: [[spoiler: '''''Trafalgar D. Water Law''''']]
*** [[spoiler: Also, seeing Doflamingo's past for real for the first time. After what we saw, we simply assumed he was a PsychopathicManchild because of the World Nobles denying his birth right. However, upon seeing the context of what happened, it becomes quite understandable how he became a PsychopathicManchild.]]
** Chapter 764: This is a big one. After over a ''decade'' of knowing next to nothing about the enigmatic D., we finally get some information. While it seems that the truth and finer details have been lost to history, D. is rumored to be [[spoiler:the antithesis to God, or put more plainly, the mortal enemies of the Celestial Dragons.]]
** Chapter 783: Two words. Just two words at the very end of the chapter. Two little words that made it all the more infuriating that the series went on hiatus for a week, and everyone needed to wait an extra week to see the next chapter: [[spoiler:"Gearů''fourth."'']]
** '''Chapter 785:''' Doflamingo then promptly reveals the concept of [[spoiler: "Awakened Devil Fruit Powers" via turning the buildings and ground around him ''into string.'' That is all.]]
** Chapter 793: Though the main battle has ended, the Dressrosa Arc still has some power left to give a sucker punch to the audience's gut. Fujitora drops the greatest bombshell this manga has ever seen by starting a broadcast to the world telling of Doflamingo's fall, making a huge apology to King Riku and Dressrosa as a whole for the trouble they went through, and then [[spoiler:''admitting that it was Luffy who saved the kingdom'']]. The entire world promptly '''flips out'''; several underworld groups are broken without their FriendInTheBlackMarket, Pirate Emperor Kaido's crew is in an uproar, and [[spoiler:Smoker and Tashigi get to enjoy petty revenge for the MedalOfDishonor they got in Alabasta]]. Fujitora is promptly contacted by a ''livid'' Fleet Admiral Sakazuki, demanding to know why he didn't report to Navy HQ first so they could turn the story into something less damning for the Navy. Fujitora's reply? He says that he did it [[ScrewTheRulesImDoingWhatsRight BECAUSE they would twist the story]], and then [[DidYouJustFlipOffCthulhu chews out his commanding officer, which once again is SAKAZUKI]], for agonizing over something as trivial as saving face, deciding it was better to [[spoiler:give credit where it was due.]] Although the chapter ends with a cliffhanger: does Fujitora stand by what he does, or [[spoiler:fulfill his promise to Sakazuki to bring in Luffy and Law now that their temporary truce is over]]?
*** There's more: former admiral Aokiji/Kuzan, one of the most benevolent members of the Marines, was hinted in the last arc to be allied to an underworld figure. And now not only is that confirmed, but we know who it is: [[spoiler:Blackbeard]].
*** Last but not least: Kid's alliance is quite relieved that Law & Luffy are targeting Kaido, leaving them with no clear obstacles in pursuing their own target among the Yonko: [[spoiler:Red-Haired Shanks]].
** Chapter 795: [[spoiler: Kaido makes his debut by jumping off of a sky island and [[ImpactSilhouette ploughing right into the ground]] of the island where Kid's alliance is. Why did he do this? Because he finds his [[MadeOfIron inability to be harmed by anything]] so amusing that he's taken up attempted suicide as a ''hobby!'']]
*** Also, Sanji, Nami, Chopper and Brook are here again! They somehow escaped from Big Mom, but predictably, they're in trouble by other means.