A RankinBassProductions' StopMotion puppet animated (called "Animagic") [[ChristmasSpecial holiday special]] from 1974. This time, SantaClaus (voiced by Mickey Rooney, reprising the role from 1970's ''[[SantaClausIsCominToTown Santa Claus is Comin' to Town]]'') decides to take a holiday from Christmas when he becomes convinced that nobody really cares anymore. In an effort to get Christmas back on, Mrs. Claus (voiced by Shirley Booth) sends a pair of elves out to find enough Christmas spirit left in the world to make Santa change his mind. HilarityEnsues, contributed to in no small part by the memorable obstructiveness of the climate-ruling Miser Brothers, Snow Miser (Dick Shawn) and Heat Miser (George S. Irving).
The script was written by Wiliam Keenan (instead of Rankin-Bass stalwart Romeo Muller), with the studio's usual mixture of classic Christmas tunes with original songs by Maury Laws and co-producer Jules Bass.
A Live Action remake aired on NBC in 2006, starring John Goodman as Santa.
Followed in 2008 by the '''non'''-Rankin/Bass ''A Miser Brothers Christmas'', in which Heat Miser and Snow Miser are forced to work together to save Christmas.
!!This holiday special contains examples of:
* AllAnimalsAreDogs: Vixen, [[JustifiedTrope while]] [[AssInALionSkin disguised as a dog]], barked at and chased a cat. One could argue that she was really in character, but even so.
* AllJustADream: It's implied in the closing song that the whole story is something Santa dreamed. Though that wouldn't explain the sequel.
* AssInALionSkin: See ''AllAnimalsAreDogs'', above.
* AwesomeMccoolName: '''Ignatius Thistlewhite.'''
* DarkIsNotEvil: Heat Miser. He may look sinister, but he's more [[GoodIsNotNice grouchy]] than truly malicious.
* DontTellMama!: The Miser Brothers.
* DeusExMachina: When Mrs. Claus can't persuade the Miser brothers to cooperate, she goes over their heads and calls on their mother. Their mother happens to be Mother Nature.
* [[EvenBadMenLoveTheirMamas Even Elemental Demi-Gods Love Their Mamas]]: "See what you did, you old blizzard? She's ''gonna tell Mother!''"
** What ''I'' did, you hot dog? This is all '''your''' fault!
* EvilIsHammy: Both the Miser brothers, though they aren't exactly evil. Their hamminess is even lampshaded by Mrs. Claus. (The sharp-eyed will catch Ignatius rolling his eyes at Heat Miser.)
* FatAndSkinny: Snow Miser is thin and Heat Miser is portly.
* FireIceLightning: The Miser Brothers supply the first two, of course, while Mother Nature causes bolts of lightning when she summons and scolds them.
* FlatEarthAtheist: Apparently, most children don't believe in Santa anymore. The question is how do they explain the presents that their parents never bought. Or the fact that Santa gave interviews to several reliable newspapers who also publish photos of him.
** Likely they just assume the adults are tricking them--once Iggy brings the issue up to his parents, they actually convince him pretty easily.
* HypocriticalHumor: The elf doctor tells Santa that nobody cares about Christmas anymore, but wishes him a Merry Christmas anyway before he leaves.
* IAmSong: The Miser Brothers.
** The song is so catchy that it was reprised in the sequel.
* AnIcePerson: Snow Miser.
* IronicEchoCut: When Santa learns that Jingle and Jangle are AWOL in the mortal world, he says, "Poor little guys. They must be scared to death," which is followed by a hard cut to Jangle saying "I'm scared to death!"
* LargeHam: The Miser Brothers are, well, ''too much''.
** Mrs Claus outright says so, at least for Snow Miser.
--->''There he comes now, the big ham.''
* LiveActionAdaptation: The 2006 TV movie with John Goodman as Santa, [[DesigningWomen Delta Burke]] as Mrs. Claus, [[ThisIsSpinalTap Michal McKean]] as Snow Miser, Harvey Fierstein as Heat Miser, and Carol Kane as Mother Nature. Among other famous faces. Despite rather dramatic changes from the original story (such as Iggy's father and the mayor of Southtown becoming a CompositeCharacter and Santa Claus negotiating with the Miser Brothers instead of Mrs. Claus), it still retained [[EarWorm those SONGS.]]
* LyricalDissonance: Surely you're expecting a dark, gloomy song to fit in with show about a holiday getting cancelled, right? No, this is Rankin Bass. None of the songs aside from "Blue Christmas" give off any sadness.
* MotherNature: Don't mess with her.
* MrsClaus: NeverMessWithGranny.
* NoAntagonist: While the Miser Brothers' bickering does bring up some conflict, they are not really villains. The only real conflict is that Santa has become bored of his endless job of giving presents to children and that Mrs. Claus and the elves are trying to get it to snow in Southtown.
* OurElvesAreBetter: The elves here are rather Keebleresque, and a bit shorter than the children.
* PaintingTheFrostOnWindows: Snow Miser, Heat Miser and Mother Nature.
* PaperThinDisguise: The elves disguise Vixen as a dog by putting a pair of brown socks over her ears.
* PhysicalGod: Mother Nature and the Miser Brothers are each powerful enough to destroy the whole planet with ease.
* PlayingWithFire: Heat Miser.
* PolarOppositeTwins: The Miser Brothers, of course. Aside from the obvious, Snow Miser seems to be more of a joker who likes the Clauses while Heat Miser is, well, [[IncrediblyLamePun hot-headed]].
* SavingChristmas: From Santa's ennui, no less.
* SeventiesHair: One of Santa's elves has a bowl cut similar to [[StarWars Luke Skywalker's.]]
* SweetHomeAlabama: Part of the plot depends on bringing a snowy day to "Southtown, U.S.A." (partially averted in that only the mayor and the policeman sound as if they came from anywhere south of Staten Island).
* TriumphantReprise: "There'll be no year without a Santa Claus".
* VillainSong: The Miser Brothers' songs (mentioned under "Ear Worm" on YMMV).
!!NBC's The Year Without A Santa Claus (2006):
* CompositeCharacter: Iggy's father and the mayor of Southtown are one and the same in this incarnation.
* ElementalRivalry: The Miser Brothers are fighting when we first see them.
* MsFanservice: The Miser bros' female minions in short skirts, the Miserettes.
* PlayingWithFire: Heat Miser and his Miserettes.
* SaltAndPepper: Jingle and Jangle, thanks to the former having a RaceLift.
* SeventiesHair: The Snow Miser's girlfriends all have afros, to go along with his 70s themed style.
* VillainSong: The Classic Miser Brothers' songs, this time sang at once.
!!A Miser Brothers Christmas contains examples of:
* AnAesop: Siblings shouldn't fight, but get along instead.
* ArgumentOfContradictions: Snow Miser and Heat Miser. "White Christmas!" "Green Christmas!" "White Christmas!" "Green Christmas!" ....
* BigBad: Heat Miser and Snow Miser's big brother North Wind.
* BitchInSheepsClothing: The North Wind again.
* ChekhovsGun: Early in the film, the North Wind drops one of his cards of himself as Santa. Later, Mrs. Claus finds it and figures out it is evidence that North Wind was the one who broke Santa's back.
* CoolAndUnusualPunishment: North Wind's punishment for trying to take over Christmas is to spend the next thousand years doing chores for Mother Nature.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: While the Miser brothers are more unwilling to get along than evil, they choose to stop their quarrel when they see Santa because they do not wish for Santa to get harmed in the crossfire, but more importantly that it would get them in trouble with Mother Nature.
* FreudianExcuse: A flashback where the Miser Brothers are seen as babies implies that they hate one another because of exposure to the opposite elements. To elaborate, we see baby Snow Miser react in discomfort to getting hit by a warm spark from the fireplace and we see baby Heat Miser react negatively to having a snowflake enter his clothes. Immediately afterward, the Misers start their endless quarrel.
** Earlier in the film, the Miser Brothers are indifferent about Santa Claus breaking his back and explain that it is because they never got any presents from him before. When they were shown flashbacks of their childhood years, they understand that Santa never gave them presents because they were on the naughty list for their endless bickering and quarreling.
* IWantSong: See VillainSong.
* ItsAllAboutMe: The North Wind's personality in a nutshell.
* LargeHam: The Miser Brothers, natch, but their older brother the North Wind [[EvilIsHammy chews a lot of scenery as well]].
* MythologyGag: Flashbacks during the Miser Brothers' childhood years depicts them wearing the clothes they wore in the original 1974 special.
-->'''Heat Miser:''' My dear brother has been running a campaign of pure propaganda to try to give global warming a bad name.
-->'''Snow Miser:''' Oh-ho, puh-leeze. How long have you been trying to scare people with reports of another ice age coming?
* RoleReprisal: George S. Irving and Mickey Rooney reprised their respective roles as Heat Miser and Santa Claus.
* SavingChristmas: Again, only this time the problem is that North Wind has injured Santa in an attempt to take his place.
* SubbingForSanta: What the Miser Brothers end up doing after North Wind injures Santa.
* TookALevelInJerkass: Both of the Miser Brothers to a very small extent. They're not really that mean, but they are shown to be indifferent to Santa Claus's condition early in the film. This is justified by the fact that the Miser Brothers never got any presents from Santa because of their sibling rivalry, and they get better when they are tasked with taking Santa's place in supervising the gift manufacturing and delivering the presents on Christmas Eve.
* VillainSong: "My Kind of Christmas", where North Wind sings about his plans to take over Christmas and become the new Santa Claus.
* YoungerAndHipper[=/=]AbsurdlyYouthfulMother: Mother Nature looks considerably younger and prettier than she did in the original special.