This British children's show, based on a series of books by Elisabeth Beresford, followed a group of furry rodent-like critters from Wimbledon Common, who spend their days cleaning up litter that they find. The group included Great Uncle Bulgaria, Tobermory, Orinoco, Bungo, Tomsk, Wellington, and Madame Cholet, each one had their own quirks and dressed a certain way.
A new series was made in the 1990s, introducing new characters such as Alderney and Stepney.
!!This show features examples of:
* ApologisesALot: Wellington, who says 'sorry' a lot mostly because he is often thinking and doesn't hear what people say the first time.
* ArtEvolution: The illustrations to the first book shows the Wombles as resembling teddy bears; in the later books they look like the puppets.
* BigEater: Orinoco. Overlaps with TheSlacker.
* BraveScot: [=MacWomble=] the Terrible, leader of one of the Womble Clans of Scotland.
* CanonImmigrant: The 90s TV series introduced Stepeny (East End Womble) and Obidos (Brazilian Womble). (But not Alderney, who was in the books, but wasn't in the 70s series.)
* CoolOldGuy: Great Uncle Bulgaria
* CuteBookworm: Wellington, who spends much of his time in the Library forgetting to come to meals.
* GreenAesop: Interestingly this was before recycling became popular.
* IAmBigBoned: "I'm not the fattest, I'm just cuddly!" We believe you, Orinoco, but millions wouldn't.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Tobemory can be very condescending towards the younger Wombles, but when they accomplish something, he'll always give credit where it's due.
* KnowNothingKnowItAll: Bungo - despite being the youngest he thinks he knows everything.
* LovableJock: Tomsk, who's very keen on keeping fit. He tries to talk Orinoco into doing exercise, without much success.
* TheMasquerade: One entire episode deals with efforts to prevent a human discovering Wellington. The solution involves a daring rescue undertaken by Bungo disguised as a [[MobileShrubbery cardboard box]].
** Wombles try their best to not get spotted by humans. TheMovie changes that to [[InvisibleToNormals 'they don't appear unless you believe in them.']]
* TheMovie: "Wombling Free"
** And AffirmativeActionGirl in the 1990s version, which added Alderney from the books.
* StockNessMonster: Ness the Water Womble. Yes, the Loch Ness Monster is ''actually'' a Womble. Mystery solved.
* TalkingToHimself: In the original series all the voices are done by Bernard Cribbins.
* ThemeNaming: The Wombles are named after places found on an old map!