'''The Smoggies''' is a Canadian cartoon produced by CINAR and known in the United States as ''Stop the Smoggies''. The Smoggies are a trio of treasure hunters with no regards for the environment. Their pollution is stopped by the Suntots, a people dwelling at Coral Island.
The Smoggies are:
'''Emma''': The cruel and bossy leader of the Smoggies. Vain and superficial, her main goal in life is obtaining the Magic Coral of Youth, which she believes to be the source of the Suntots' everlasting youth. This coral doesn't actually exist, but Emma refuses to believe it.
'''Clarence''': Emma's long-suffering husband and the captain of the ''Stinky Poo'', the ship where the Smoggies reside. He's generally good-natured but an incompetent inventor.
'''Polluto''': Clarence's large, oafish crewman.
!!List of tropes in The Smoggies
* AntiVillain: Clarence and Polluto arguably count. They both seem like pretty decent guys, but Clarence is devoted to Emma and doesn't think through the consequences of pleasing her, while Polluto is just too stupid to realize the damage the Smoggies are causing.
** Emma, on the other hand, really ''is'' a villain-she's greedy and selfish, and doesn't care what kind of damage the Smoggies do to the environment, so long as she gets what she wants.
* BambooTechnology: Most of the Suntot's machinery are this, although they rely on wind, water and solar power.
* BigEater: Polluto eats coal, screws and he once ate a diamond because Clarence told him diamonds were made from coal.
** Polluto also likes drinking oil, which is the reason they couldn't leave Coral Island during the one occasion they wanted to.
* CastOfSnowflakes: There are a lot of Suntots on the island, and each of them have a unique hair colour to go with it. However, the hairstyles for moost of them are identical, making it easy to make background characters.
* ComicTrio: The Smoggies, Emma is the leader, Clarence is smart but spineless, and Polluto is an idiot.
* EverythingIsBetterWithPrincesses: Princess Lila
* FailureIsTheOnlyOption: Especially when your main objective doesn't exist...
* GreenAesop: The Suntots use all-natural energy sources, while the Smoggies do nothing but pollute. A lot of plots revolve around preserving nature, and the Smoggies desire to destroy it or otherwise pollute.
* HappilyMarried: Clarence and Emma are very much this, despite Emma's overbearing attitude.
* HenpeckedHusband: Poor Clarence.
* HumansAreBastards: The Suntots certainly have reason to think so, given everything the Smoggies have put them through.
* IGaveMyWord: When the Smoggies decided to leave Coral Island, they needed to replenish their ship's oil supply and their only hope was extracting oil from Coral Island. As part of a deal between them and the Suntots, the Smoggies could extract oil from Coral Island on the proviso they didn't take any oil from the tarbog's pit. When Emma wanted to break the deal, her usually HenpeckedHusband invoked this trope.
* LoopholeAbuse: Clarence might have given his word he'd not extract oil from the tarbog's pit, but Emma pointed out she didn't give ''hers''.
* McGuffin: For Miss Emma, the magic coral.
* MinionWithAnFInEvil: Polluto
** And Clarence, most of the time. The show in general has some of the weakest villains in the history of television, considering how pleasant and likeable two of the three are.
* NonHumanSidekick: A rare villainous example, Polluto's pet bird Ralph.
* ObliviouslyEvil: Clarence and Polluto are classic examples, in that most of the damage they cause is a result of their trying to please Emma. Clarence is so devoted to her that he doesn't take into account the damage he's doing in indulging her, while Polluto simply does whatever the other Smoggies tell him to.
* ShaggyDogStory: The whole reason the Smoggies are there is to try and find the magic coral so that Emma can use it to maintain her youth and beauty. However, Clarence is already completely in love with Emma, and he'd likely remain so no matter what she looked like.
* VillainSong: The first verse of the theme song is sung by the Smoggies. Probably one of the most upbeat examples - you'd never think they are the villains unless you listened to the lyrics.
* YouGottaHaveBlueHair: The Suntots have a rainbow spectrum of possible hair colours. The Smoggies have more natural colours.