Before IronMan made his debut on [[Film/IronMan the big screen]], Marvel Animations released an animated film in 2007, exploring a variation on [[SuperHeroOrigin the character's origins]]. The film uses the premise that Iron Man has to battle the forces of the Mandarin, in this film a long-deceased Chinese emperor, before they can resurrect their master and bring about the end of the known world.
The film has not been received particularly well, especially in comparison of the previous Ultimate Avengers films (though notably, Marc Worden reprises his role as Iron Man in this film and would do so again for ''PlanetHulk''). However, some elements of the film do seem to have left a lasting impression upon the franchise, Marvel even seems to have adopted the opening musical score as the main theme for the character, which has even been heard used in ''IronManArmoredAdventures'' and ''WesternAnimation/AvengersEarthsMightiestHeroes''.
!!!This film contains examples of:
* AdaptationDyeJob: In the comics Pepper Potts has red hair (part of the reason for her nickname). In this feature she has brown hair - and is British for some reason.
* BiggerBad: The Mandarin.
* CanonForeigner: Li Mei.
* CensorSteam: To ''ridiculous'' amounts.
* ClothingDamage: Li Mei.
* DemonicPossession: Li Mei is possessed by her own ancestor The Mandarin.
* FullFrontalAssault: Li Mei at the end, [[RuleOfSexy just because]].
* TwentyPercentMoreAwesome: "Wonderful news, Tony, Howard. We'll support you both 110%."
* WellDoneSonGuy: Tony and Li Mei both have daddy issues