[[caption-width-right:350:[[IncomingHam "Guess who?"]]]]
->''[[ScrewySquirrel Everybody Thinks I'm Cra-ze-ee-ee!]]''
->''[[IAmWhatIAm Yesiree, thats me, thats me!]]''
->''[[IAmWhatIAm Thats what i'm cracked up to be!]]''
->''[[BraggingThemeTune I chop a hole in every tree,]]''
->''[[AllBlueEntry Knock on wood!]]'' (taps on branch)
->''[[RhymesOnADime Well, knock on woooood!]]''
->''[[ScrewySquirrel So I'm crazy, so what-what can i do?]]''
->''[[NoFourthWall So are YOU!]]''
-->--'''WesternAnimation/WoodyWoodpecker''', singing the opening song.
'''''The Cracked Nut''''' [[note]] Originally called '''''Woody Woodpecker''''', but we will refer to it here by it's Castle Films reissue title to avoid confusion[[/note]] is a [[UsefulNotes/TheGoldenAgeOfAnimation 1941]] short cartoon released on June 7th, and the first solo short of Creator/WalterLantz's most famous character, Woody Woodpecker, even though it is not his first appearance (that belongs to the WesternAnimation/AndyPanda short [[WesternAnimation/KnockKnock1940 "Knock Knock"]]).
The short begins with a tune conducted to the rhythm of Woody's laugh, all while panning across the opening titles, not to mention a tree pecked full of large holes, courtesy of our hero. Woody literally bursts onto the screen, delivering his iconic "Guess Who?", followed up with his famous AnnoyingLaugh. After singing the opening song (quoted above), an annoyed owl causes him to ram into the tree and fall into a hallicinogenic daze, with the local WoodlandCreatures commenting on Woody's insanity. A challenge or two later from them, and Woody ends up ramming himself into a petrified tree, dazing himself to where he decides he really is crazy, and goes off to see the local psychiatrist, Dr. [[PunnyName Horace N. Buggy.]] It doesn't take long for the audience to realize that Mr. Buggy is [[NotSoDifferent just as crazy as Woody, if not more.]] Regardless, Woody plays along with the doctors shenanigans, until the short ends with Woody flying out of the doctor's office--and into the [[NoFourthWall theater where the cartoon is playing!]] The Doctor promptly goes looney, while Woody annoys the audience member he's sitting next to enough to where he slams the seat into Woody, prompting his screams of help as the cartoon closes.
* AnnoyingLaugh: Take a wild guess who does this.
* BraggingThemeTune: Woody's opening song.
* CaptainErsatz: It's really obvious in this early short that Woody was meant to be a WesternAnimation/BugsBunny and WesternAnimation/DaffyDuck knockoff. He even calls Dr. Buggy "Doc" at one point!
* CharacterTitle: The short was originally just called ''Woody Woodpecker'', but some prefer calling it by it's Castle Films reissue title for convenience.
* CompletelyDifferentTitle: The Castle Films home movie rental release renamed the film ''The Cracked Nut'' so that people didn't confuse the generically named cartoon with being just ''any'' Woody Woodpecker cartoon, as opposed to being his solo debut. The official DVD release restores the original titles.
* DeadpanSnarker: Woody when a squirrel comments he has some screws loose.
-->'''Woody''' (in mocking tone): "Oh, so i got some screws loose!"
* DigitalDestruction: The official DVD print has some issues with DVNR, and even some nasty digital compression in a few frames.
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: Woody's design looks nothing like he does from [[WesternAnimation/TheBarberOfSeville Barber of Seville]] and onward, and he has none of the outright malicious tendencies he has in the [[ShamusCulhane Culhane]] and Lundy eras, being an unmotivated heckler instead.
* MadHatter: Woody, in his opening ditty.
* NoFourthWall: The ending--it is not an example of BornInTheTheatre however, as the audience is still set in a cartoon universe, and not our own.
* NotSoDifferent: Woody and the Doctor.
* OffModel: Typical of the early Woody shorts, Woody would often go through this--there are some shots where he does have teeth, and some where he curiously doesn't!
* PunnyName: Dr. Horace N. Buggy. If you honestly don't get the pun, it's a play on "Horse and Buggy".
* RidiculouslyCuteCritter: The squirrels Woody encounters.
* ScrewySquirrel: Woody, in full force here.
* WheelOFeet: Woody does this when he prepares for take-off.
* WoodlandCreatures: The forest animals Woody meets early on.