Alright meatmaggots. Let's [[DescribeTopicHere describe]] ''Secret Mountain Fort Awesome''!
The brainchild of cartoonist & animator Pete Browngardt (whose previous credits include Futurama, Chowder and Adventure Time) and broadcast on Cartoon Network, this short-lived toon covers the misadventures of five monsters - known collectively as Disgustoids - who live in an underground mountain (the title fort of the series) and generally cause mischief either among themselves or with the people on the surface world while trying to fit in with them. Needless to say, HILARITY ENSUES!
Said monsters are:
* Festro: The de facto leader of the bunch, a purple monster with giant fangs who only wears underwear.
* Fart: The only sensible monster of the bunch. He also happens to be made entirely out of butts.
* Dingle: The blue monster who acts mostly like a dog and speaks in gibberish.
* Slog: The hairy monster with a big nose.
* and Gweelok: A monster who looks like a giant puss ball.
The show takes it humour and art style from Pete Browngardt's ''WesternAnimation/UncleGrandpa'' pilot for Cartoonstitute. Unfortunately, its' brash, over-the-top nature struggled to find an audience and plans for a second season (which was already in production) were scrapped. Pete has since admitted the show was the result of ExecutiveMeddling: following the network's plan to age up their programming from TV-Y7 to TV-PG, the bigwigs saw potential in the monster characters (some of them early prototypes of the Disgustoids) from the original short and approached Browngardt to develop a series about them. [[BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor Needless to say, they were baffled with the finished product]] and immediately declared it a flop.
Despite the negative response, it was not a wasted opportunity: the show went on to pick up several awards following its' cancellation, and Pete finally got his original Uncle Grandpa idea off the road.
The show was seen in the 2012 reboot of ''WesternAnimation/CartoonPlanet''.
''Secret Mountain Fort Awesome'' contains the following tropes:
* FourOneNineScam: In the episode "The 6th Disgustoid" Gweelok fell for this trick reading an e-mail from a scammer claiming to be the prince of some foreign country. [[spoiler: The scammer's identity is revealed to be Bromanor.]]
* ColdTurkeysAreEverywhere: The third episode has the group making a bet with Gweelok that he can't use the internet for 24 Hours. Not surprisingly they try to tempt him to use it.
* DerangedAnimation: Though considering Creator/CartoonNetwork's [[WesternAnimation/AdventureTime recent]] [[RegularShow efforts,]] this shouldn't come as a surprise.
** Festro: TheHero (if you can call him that)
** Fart: TheLancer
** Gweelok: The SmartGuy
** Slog: TheBigGuy
** Dingle: TeamPet and TheChick
* [[EarsAsHair Hair as Ears]]: Dingle has hair that looks like dog ears.
* GrossOutShow: Taken UpToEleven
** Actually subverted, the designs of the show seem to be this but otherwise it's surprisingly tame and focuses more on the humor of the characters rather then [[GrossUpCloseUp GrossUpCloseUps]].
* TheHedonist: All five Disgustoids have traits of this, though Festro is easily the much hedonistic of the bunch.
* KillerRabbit: The adorable (and huge) kitten in the second episode [[spoiler: Fart falls for its cuteness and gets eaten but explodes it from the inside with his farts.]]
* [[InfinityPlusOneSword Infinity Plus One Television]]: The Megavision television was said to get Infinity Plus One channels.
* InsaneTrollLogic: Somehow eating sandwiches with 4 year old mayo allows you to travel through time.
* MediumBlending: This show mixes hand-drawn animation with cut-out photography.
* OnlySaneMan: Fart.
* PaperThinDisguise: In the first episode, the Disgustoids put mustaches on their faces, which make them look like real life humans (emphasis on ''real life'')
* ShoutOut: The short PeaceOnEarth in the episode "7,002".
** Also there's a huge scene in "President the Fart" that is based off the Rainbow Road in Mario Kart. Dingle even plays a similar role of Lakitu when Festro falls off.
** "Broken Chair" has a part where Dingle has his own band. They play a song that sounds similar to Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Dingle then holds a bat and appears to be fixing to bite its head off then he kisses it instead.
* TheUnintelligible: Dingle, [[IntelligibleUnintelligible yet the other monsters can understand him]].
* WeaksauceWeakness: Festro apparently has a crippling fear of [[http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mom+jeans mom jeans]], which the other Disgustoids help him conquer.