[[caption-width-right:234:Mickey Mouse taking a kiss by force. [[CharacterizationMarchesOn No, really]].]]
->''"Mickey was based on the character of [[Creator/DouglasFairbanks Douglas Fairbanks Senior]]. He was the superhero of his day, always winning, gallant, and swashbuckling. Mickey's action was in that vein. He was never intended to be a sissy, he was always an adventurous character. I thought of him in that respect and I had him do naturally the sort of thing Doug Fairbanks would do. Some people got the idea that in Plane Crazy, Mickey was patterned after Lindbergh. Well, Lindy flew the Atlantic, but he was no Douglas Fairbanks. He was a hero to boys because of airplanes and what he had accomplished flying the Atlantic. But Mickey wasn't LindyŚ he was Douglas Fairbanks."''
-->-- '''Creator/UbIwerks''' on the original Disney/MickeyMouse
The debut short of MickeyMouse, this originally silent cartoon from 1928, while nowhere near as important or revolutionary as "SteamboatWillie" (Creator/UbIwerks himself said the short wasn't much different than what was being done at the time) is important in that it is not only his debut, but also a prime example of Mickey's original characterization -- here, he's a very self-confident, adventurous but overambitious mischief maker who attempts to fly a plane, inspired by Lindbergh (although Mickey himself, as stated above, is based on Douglas Fairbanks). In the meantime, Minnie Mouse joins for a ride as Mickey loses control of his homemade plane. HilarityEnsues.
The short was made not long after Walt lost the rights to WesternAnimation/OswaldTheLuckyRabbit, drawn and animated entirely by UbIwerks in two weeks notice. The short was not particularly popular upon debut, but when SteamboatWillie came around and gave the then declining animation industry (cartoons were falling out of popularity at that point) the kick in the pants it needed via sound, this cartoon was promptly rereleased with sound dubbed over it.
* AllMenArePerverts: Mickey at one point tries several times to get a kiss from Minnie and eventually resorts to smooching her after scaring her by deliberately letting her fall out of the plane and then catch her. Later, he laughs at Minnie using her panties as a parachute.
* CharacterizationMarchesOn: Oh yeah.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: Minnie using her panties as a parachute and Mickey laughing at her for it.
* LawyerFriendlyCameo: Hey, Mickey almost crashed his plane into FelixTheCat! [[note]]Or is that Julius, Disney's conspicuous Felix look-a-like used in his earliest cartoons and in some early comics?[[/note]]
* PantyShot: Minnie even uses them as a makeshift parachute at the end of the short.
* PublicDomainSoundtrack: An instrumental of Yankee Doodle Dandy is used early in the picture.
* RunningGag: The "Mickey grabbing a cows nipple and getting milk squirted in his face" gag would be recycled for several other black & white shorts.