''My Little Pony: The Movie'' was released in theaters in 1986, based on the toyline ''Franchise/MyLittlePony'', by Hasbro.
At Dream Castle, the Little Ponies are preparing a festival to celebrate the first day of Spring. They even go as far as to hold a ballet, which Baby Lickety Split ruins by dancing her way instead of cooperating with the others. After being called on being a show off by the others, she runs away, followed by Spike, the Baby Dragon.
Meanwhile, in the Volcano of Gloom, the evil witch Hydia watches the event via her cauldron and, disgusted by the frivolity, tells her daughters that they must ruin it. Hydia's daughters, Draggle and Reeka, are incompetent at causing mischief and fail utterly at ruining the festival. They return to the Volcano of Gloom in disgrace, where Witch Hydia presents a better plan - they'll make Smooze. The sisters collect a series of disgusting ingredients, but neglect to obtain the Phlume, the prospect of which terrifies them. The spell seems to work regardless, creating a pool of sentient purple lava that gleefully buries Ponyland.
The ponies go to their friend, Megan, and her younger siblings, Danny and Molly, for help. Who in turn go to the Moochic, who tells them to go find the Flutter Ponies. Thus begins an epic quest for living slime, weird friendly trolls called grundles, giant sunflowers, living trees, and much more.
The film bombed in theaters, but seems to have a healthy shelf life on home video.
In terms of the G1 MLP animated continuity, this movie implicitly comes after the ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyTVSpecials'' and serves as a prelude to ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyAndFriends''. [[IThoughtItMeant Not to be confused with the upcoming 2017 film]] [[NamesTheSame of the same name]] based on ''WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic''.
!!''My Little Pony: The Movie'' provides examples of the following tropes:
* AnsweringEcho: There's a song done entirely like this between Baby Lickety Split, who's bemoaning her troubles at a well, and Flutter Pony Morning Glory, who's trapped inside the well.
-->No one's in a fix like I am (I am)\\
No one has the luck I do (I do)\\
No one's had the set backs I have (I have)\\
Look where life has led me to (Me too!)
* AllTrollsAreDifferent: The Grundles. [[UnusualEuphemism "Aw, Grundlemumf!"]]
* BadIsGoodAndGoodIsBad: Hydia and her daughters. Among other things, Reeka and Draggle object to being called "cute" by the ponies, and they react with horror to the prospect of being force-fed banana splits by their mother.
** Subverted. The Flutter Ponies try to de-Smooze the Grundles, apparently under this assumption. The Grundles assure them that this is how they've always looked.
** Also, it's mentioned that Reeka and Draggle have an older cousin named Lucretia, whose portrait shows her to be a HotWitch.
* BigDamnHeroes: The [[spoiler: Flutter Ponies]]
* BigEater: Reeka, here and in the series.
* BlobMonster: The Smooze
* ButtMonkey: Reeka and Draggle, although Draggle gets the bigger share.
* CallAndResponseSong: "What Good Will Wishing Do?"
* CanonForeigner: Danny, who was created for the movie (later appearing the TV series), and [[ToylessToylineCharacter never appeared in the toyline]].
* DefeatingTheUndefeatable: The Smooze has an entire VillainSong about how unstoppable it is, and lives up to it, with even the Rainbow of Light being unable to stop it. [[spoiler:The Flutter Ponies ultimately prove too much for it, weakening it enough for the Rainbow to finish off.]]
* TheDogBitesBack: After they and the Smooze are defeated, Reeka and Draggle mock Hydia for ''her'' failure.
* DoomedHomeTown: The Grundles' kingdom of Grundle-Land was wiped out by the Smooze.
* DragonInChief: The Smooze is no doubt this to Hydia, being more powerful than her.
* FatAndSkinny: Reeka and Draggle. Inverted a bit, more so in the series, in that it's the skinny one who is slower. Played straight in that the skinny one is more likable.
* GiantFlyer: Wind Whistler, and every fifteen minutes at that.
* GiantSpider: Aahg, here and in the series sequel.
* GirlishPigtails: Molly, who makes her debut in this movie.
* [[DoomyDoomsOfDoom "Gloomy Glooms of Gloom"]]: The Volcano of Gloom where the witches live, whose context is otherwise clear.
* HartmanHips: Draggle, here and in the series sequel. She may technically have inherited that from her mother, though her mother looks like a ball with feet now. The other women in the specials (i.e. Catrina) and the series do not have Hartman Hips.
* HatePlague: Anyone splashed with Smooze becomes mean and ill-tempered.
* [[TheHecateSisters Hecate Sisters]]: The witches, here and in the series, invert this trope despite not all being sisters. Reeka has aspects of all three types, Hydia is The Crone and the more manipulating aspects of The Mother, and Draggle is The Maiden.
* HiddenElfVillage: Flutter Valley
* HilariouslyAbusiveChildhood: Reeka and Draggle.
* HollywoodToneDeaf: [[EarWorm I'LL GO IT A-]]'''''[[EarWorm LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNE!]]'''''
* HypercompetentSidekick: Habbit, the Moochick's assistant.
-->'''Reeka''': You said nothing could stop the Smooze!
-->'''Hydia''': I lied!
* IllNeverTellYouWhatImTellingYou: When Hydia demands Reeka and Draggle tell her what went wrong with the Smooze, Draggle accidentally blabs that she and Reeka neglected to get one of the ingredients.
* ImperfectRitual: The witches create Smooze, a giant mass of sentient, evil slime. It is supposed to be undefeatable but the two younger witches didn't bring floom ( blood/sap from a triffid expy - they were too afraid to go get it) and hide the fact from their mother. This weakens the Smooze enough for the rainbow to stop it the first time round, allowing the heroes enough time to go on their quest to find help.
* IneffectualSympatheticVillain: Reeka and Draggle.
* InevitableWaterfall: Spike, Baby Lickety Split, and the Grundles go over one at one point.
* ItMakesSenseInContext: Just try to pick any individual scene from the movie and explain it to someone who's never seen it before. See how many "wtf" faces you get.
* TheJuggernaut: The Smooze. It's only real vulnerability is [[spoiler:the Flutter Ponies' magic]] and even then it takes the [[spoiler:Rainbow of Light to finish it off.]]
* JumpedAtTheCall: Megan and her siblings. "If those witches want a fight, we'll give them one!"
* KillItWithFire: [[spoiler:The Smooze is finished off by being dumped back into the volcano, though rather or not the Rainbow of Light and the Flutterponies' magic had already killed it before that is uncertain.]]
* ManEatingPlant: "Phlume" turns out to be sap from a rather nasty carnivorous plant.
* MetronomicManMashing: The Phlume does this to Reeka.
* NeutralNoLonger: The Flutter Ponies decide to help once they realize that Hydia would have the Smooze destroy Flutter Valley.
* NeckLift: After shaking off Draggle The Phlume does this to Reeka and holds her over the cliff it lives on. It does it to her again at the climax of the scene, though in this case it's more or less a neck hold instead of a lift.
** Hydia has one upon seeing [[spoiler:the Flutter Ponies arrive.]]
** Draggle has one somewhat after the Phlume grabs Reeka.
* PantyShot: Reeka practically ''walks'' in this mode.
* ParentalBonus: Arguably Aahg given his name and the fact that he ''is'' a [[MontyPythonandtheHolyGrail black beast]] of sorts...
* PapaWolf: Spike and the woodland animals are this to Lickety Split.
* RandomEventsPlot: The plot of the movie is very disjointed at times, particularly with Baby Lickety-Split and the others' search for her.
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Reeka and Draggle get one from their mother after their first failed attempt to ruin the ponies' celebration. "Maladia over at Nightmare Heights, ''her'' daughter made Easter Sunday come out on a Tuesday! What have ''you'' done? Zip! A big fat zero!"
* RidingIntoTheSunset: Or rather ''flying'' into the sunset!
* SpellMyNameWithAnS: There's been a few variations on "The Phlume" here and there on the internet. Some spell it "Flume", "Floom", and others "Phlume", and given that no official spelling has been released...
* SpotlightStealingSquad: The witches, particularly the younger two, feel like the main characters in this movie.
* StatusQuoIsGod: Averted. The witches destroy the Dream Castle, and though it's restored, the Ponies live in Paradise Estate for the remainder of the series.
* TechnicalPacifist: Rosedust and the other Flutter Ponies don't want to intervene with the Smooze because it's "not our fight," even though they are the only ones who can stop it.
* TerribleTrio: The witches from the Volcano of Gloom. Inverted in that Hydia herself actually is a threat to Ponyland.
* ThemeNaming: The Flutter Ponies, who are introduced in this movie, are all named after flowers.
* ThisIsNoTimeToPanic: Wind Whistler says this just as the killer trees in the Shadow Forest start attacking.
* TreeBuchet: Megan uses a giant sunflower to get away from the Smooze at one point.
* VillainSong: "We're Witches", in which Hydia boasts about the long line of evil spell-casters from which Reek and Draggle are descended, and "Nothing Can Stop the Smooze".
* TheWallsHaveEyes: The Smooze consists of tons of eyes.
* WeaksauceWeakness: Ahgg the giant spider turns out to be ticklish.
* WickedWitch: Hydia. Reeka and Draggle are wicked witches in training.
* WhyCouldntYouBeDifferent: "Why can't you be evil like I taught you?"
* WorfHadTheFlu: The Smooze is deactivated by the Rainbow of Light (though buries it and a large part of Dream Valley) because it lacked Flume. Once it has it, nothing can stop it except the Flutter Ponies.