[[caption-width-right:320:Kong and his human friends. Left to right: Lua, Jason and Eric.]]
Kong is a genetically-engineered gorilla created by Dr. Lorna Jenkins using D.N.A. from Film/KingKong. Evil scientist Ramon De La Porta wants to use Dr. Jenkins' findings for his own purposes. To stop him, Dr. Jenkins and Kong count on Dr. Jenkins' grandson Jason; Jason's best friend Eric "Tann" Tannenbaum IV; a girl shaman named Lua; and that's just counting human allies.
* AdaptationalHeroism: Kong goes from the wild animal worshiped by terrified natives to the island's legendary guardian beast who spends the time he's not helping Jason and his friends rescuing animals on the island from danger. In one episode he even sneaks out of the airplane hangar where the humans left him and spends the night saving people from street thugs.
* AgentMulder[=/=]AgentScully: One episode has a pair of these with the genders reversed.
* BigBad: De la Porta's the villain of most episodes, but the biggest threat in the show is Chiros, the evil fire god sealed under Kong Island who starts to wake up when De La Porta steals most of the Primal Stones. The good news is they manage to hang onto enough to keep him from being able to leave his temple. The bad news is his minions like Harpy, her gargoyles and Onimus, a monster who's big enough to take on Kong, have no such barriers.
* CantSpitItOut: Jason and Lua just can never admit their feelings for each other.
** That is, till the [[LastMinuteHookUp last episode]], if only [[MomentKiller Kong didn't splash them]].
* ClassyCatBurglar: Tiger Lucy. [[CatGirl Literally]], thanks to De La Porta's Cyber-Link.
* DarkSkinnedRedhead: Lua
* DoesNotLikeShoes: Lua is always barefoot, and the series never [[http://animefeet.blogspot.com/2010/04/spellcaster-conclusion-lua-megapost.html lets us]] [[http://animefeet.blogspot.com/2010/04/spellcaster-conclusion-lua-megapost_30.html forget it.]]
** Though oddly for no reason in the CGI film she wears shoes. [[TheyChangedItNowItSucks Much to the annoyance of some fans]].
* TheDragon: Both of the show's main villains, Chiros and De la Porta, have their own. Chiros has Harpy, his most intelligent underling who supervises most plans, and De la Porta has Omar, his most competent and loyal henchman; in one episode he '''pulls a gun on the Egyptian god Set''' to try to save De la Porta.
* DuelingShows: Created at least in part to compete with ''WesternAnimation/GodzillaTheSeries.''
* FusionDance: Jason and Kong do this via the Cyber-Link so Jason can lend his martial arts expertise to Kong and Kong can "ride" inside Jason to avoid the logistics of transporting a giant gorilla around the world. De La Porta and his henchmen use their own Cyber-Link to merge with regular animals to fight Kong.
* GeneticMemory: Kong sometimes gets flashes from his past life as the original King Kong.
* GentleGiant: Kong fits this trope among the non-humans and the muscular Tann among the humans.
* GottaCatchThemAll: Both sides are trying to collect all the Primal Stones, to either seal the ultimate evil or become it.
* GreenEyedMonster: Lua becomes one every time another girl shows attraction to Jason.
* HulkingOut: If Kong gets angry enough while fused he can turn into "Mega Kong" with twice the size and strength of his original form. Given that he looks identical aside from size [[YourSizeMayVary which can be hard to notice in a show with inconsistent animation]], they usually resorted to having the characters specifically point out the transformation so the viewer would know it happened.
* ImpairmentShot: Happens to Lua as she's tranquilized by poachers and as she wakes up.
* KissingUnderTheInfluence: [[spoiler: Tann and Lua]] in "Reborn."
* MagicalComputer: On this show you can find out the current location of notorious international arms dealers using ''The Internet''!!
* MonsterOfTheWeek: Usually a kaiju created by De la Porta or one of his henchmen merging with an ordinary animal, but there's the odd real legendary beast thrown in too.
* NubileSavage: Lua
* PreppyName: Eric Tannenbaum IV
* RecycledTheSeries: This is the second animated series based on ''Film/KingKong''.
* ReptilesAreAbhorrent: In one arc, there were evil snake people that wanted to mind control Kong.
* SignificantGreenEyedRedhead: Lua.
* SpoiledSweet: Tann's parents are quite wealthy and, thanks to the fund his grandfather left him, he can buy whatever his parents won't give him. Despite this, he's a true friend and only mentions his wealth whenever it's needed to help.
* TalkingToHimself: Scott McNeil provided both Tann's voice and Kong's roars.
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Tann can't go a day without a Pineapple Pizza.
* VillainWithGoodPublicity: Ramon De La Porta. Most people perceive him as a respected college professor. Despite what little we see of his curriculum apparently discussing the existence of Atlantis and magic rocks.