'''''Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century''''' (an obvious parody of ''Series/BuckRogersInTheTwentyFifthCentury'') is a [[TheGoldenAgeOfAnimation 1953]] Creator/ChuckJones short featuring WesternAnimation/DaffyDuck as the eponymous Duck Dodgers, a cocky, spectacularly inept space hero who, with the help of an Eager Young Space Cadet played by WesternAnimation/PorkyPig, battles Marvin the Martian for control of Planet X, only known location of "Illudium Phosdex", the shaving cream atom.
Also an obvious send-up of the UsefulNotes/ColdWar, with Earth representing the [[UsefulNotes/YanksWithTanks United States]] and Mars ("the [[DoubleMeaning Red]] Planet") the [[UsefulNotes/RedswithRockets Soviet Union]]. The escalation of their conflict is a perfect illustration of the doctrine of Mutual Assured Destruction.
The popularity of this short led to a number of subsequent Duck Dodgers adventures, including a ''WesternAnimation/DuckDodgers'' cartoon series fifty years later.
!!''Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century'' provide examples of the following tropes:
* TwoDSpace: Actually subverted in a small way. When plotting a course to Planet X, Dodgers demonstrates that while you navigate space with North, South, East and West, you also use Up and Down (and relative terms such as Downeast), just as you would when navigating in three dimensions.
* AnAesop: Whether obvious or not, the creative team behind this short stated that it is an allegory for the Cold War. This can be read in the 50 Greatest Cartoons book.
* ArmorIsUseless: The Disintegration Proof Vest works perfectly. Too bad it doesn't cover the whole body.
* BANGFlagGun: The Ultimatum Dispatcher.
* BeleagueredAssistant: The Eager Young Space Cadet.
* CaptainSpaceDefenderOfEarth: Or, to be more specific... DUCK DODGERS, IN THE TWENTY-FOURTH AND A HALF CENTURY!
-->[[spoiler:'''Cadet:''' B-b-big deal.]]
* [[BulletProofVest Disintegration-Proof Vest]]: Only the ''vest'' is disintegration-proof, not the guy inside it.
* DisintegratorRay: And brother, when it disintegrates, it ''disintegrates.''
-->'''Dodgers:''' Well, what do you know? [[ShapedLikeItself It disintegrated.]]
* EscalatingWar: Between Dodgers and Marvin the Martian.
* EverythingExplodesEnding: The cartoon ends with Dodgers and Marvin blowing up Planet X.
* ExactWords: Dodgers' Disintegrating Pistol ''and'' his Disintegration-Proof Vest. Also, by the end, "This planet ain't big enough for the two of us."
* GladIThoughtOfIt: Finding the way to Planet X. Gad, how ''does'' he do it?
* HadTheSillyThingInReverse: The TropeNamer.
* HypercompetentSidekick: Porky Pig as the Eager Young Space Cadet.
* InstantPeopleJustAddWater: The Integrating Pistol.
* IronicEcho: "[[NotBigEnoughForTheTwoOfUs There ain't enough room on this planet for the two of us!]]"
* LargeHam: DUCK DODGERS! IN THE 24th AND A HALF CENTURY!
* LaymansTerms: Dodgers explaining how they will navigate to Planet X.
* MineralMacGuffin: Illudium Phosdex -- the Shaving Cream Atom.
* MorallyAmbiguousDucktorate: Daffy [[NiceJobBreakingItHero blows up the planet he was supposed to claim]] in his efforts to beat Marvin.
* NotBigEnoughForTheTwoOfUs: Dodgers delivers this line to Marvin the Martian. After the two blow up the planet during their EscalatingWar, it becomes [[NotHyperbole quite literal]].
* OnlySaneMan: The Eager Young Space Cadet
* [[EarthShatteringKaboom Planet-X-Shattering Kaboom]]
* PyrrhicVictory: Dodgers ''technically'' wins in the end, but destroys Planet X in the process. Lampshaded by the Eager Young Space Cadet: "B-b-b-b-big deal."
* PyrrhicVillainy: By the ''hero'', yet, since between the two of them Dodgers and Marvin end up blowing up Planet X, the very thing they were fighting over (and including the supply of illudium phosdex Dodgers was sent to retrieve). Not that Dodgers realizes it at the time, as focused as he is on winning.
* RetroRocket: Both Dodgers' and Marvin's.
* ScrewYourUltimatum: Marvin's "Ultimatum Responder" simply [[TalkToTheFist fires a bullet within a bullet]] at Dodgers.
* ShapedLikeItself: See DisintegratorRay, above.
* ShapeshiftingExcludesClothing: The disintegration proof vest is all that is left after Dodgers is disintegrated.
* SpaceCadet: As in, Eager Young.
* StatingTheSimpleSolution: Instead of the [[ComplexityAddiction ridiculously complex route]] that Dodgers draws up to reach Planet X, Space Cadet suggests simply following a series of conveniently alphabetized planets. Dodgers first laughs at the notion, then [[GladIThoughtOfIt takes it as his own]].
* TheTelevisionTalksBack: Marvin shoots Dodgers from the screen on which Dodgers is watching him.
* ThisMeansWar: "That's the last straw! Now I use my secret weapon!"
* TitleDrop: Duck Dodgers himself is prone to this.
* TrickBullet: Dodgers fires an Ultimatum Gun at Marvin, which shoots a bullet that stops in mid-air, opens and out pops a written ultimatum. Marvin responds with an Ultimatum Responder, which fires a bullet that stops and shoots a bullet of its own. Dodgers fires the Ultimatum gun again, and this time the bullet's message reads "Ouch!"
* VisualPun: Planet X's name. The unknown zone has all the planet by letters and begins with Planet A. And have the letter printed in them.