[[caption-width-right:266:"[[ShutUpScaryThing Stop steaming up my tail! What're you trying to do, wrinkle it]]?!"]]
'''''Bully for Bugs''''' is a [[TheGoldenAgeOfAnimation 1953]] WesternAnimation/LooneyTunes short, directed by Creator/ChuckJones.
The short begins with Bugs on his way to the Coachella Valley for the "Big carrot festival, therein." but takes a wrong turn and winds up inside a [[BeastlyBloodsports bullfight arena]], and becomes an unwitting victim of Toro the Bull and his horns. Bugs, indignant at this attack, immediately decides to turn the tables, taking up the role of matador and giving the bull his just desserts for the rest of the cartoon.
This cartoon is also notable for a bit of history behind its making, at least according to Chuck Jones: Jones' supervisor, Eddie Selzer, barged into Jones' office one day and announced, completely out of the blue, that "bullfights aren't funny!" Since Jones and his fellow animators [[AntiAdvice worked from the assumption that Eddie was always wrong about everything]], their only choice was to make a cartoon about bullfighting.
This short is one of Literature/The100GreatestLooneyTunes. It can be found on ''[[WesternAnimation/LooneyTunes Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1]]''.
!!''Bully for Bugs'' provides examples of the following tropes:
* BulletSeed: After accidentally swallowing a rifle, Toro is briefly able to shoot from his horns. His attempt to reload leads him to [[NonFatalExplosion disaster]].
* BullSeeingRed: Subverted, in that Bugs flapping his cape leads a dazed Toro into following him around the arena in a sort of dance.
* DisproportionateRetribution: The entire premise of this cartoon. Bugs slaps Toro in the nose for "steaming up his tail", for that Toro headbutts Bugs into the sky, and then Bugs declares war on Toro and enters as a bullfighter.
* DoorJudo: Sets up Bugs' FinishingMove.
* DeadlyDodging / OneDimensionalThinking: Bugs does this with an anvil.
* HitFlash: see Second Person Attack.
** Toro leaves a bull-shaped hole through the matador's cape.
** Bugs leaves a rabbit-shaped one when Toro knocks him through a wall.
* MickeyMousing: Most notably used when Bugs is mockingly slapping Toro.
* SecondPersonAttack: Bugs uses Toro's horns to create a slingshot.
* ShutUpScaryThing: As seen in the page-image above.
* SlipperySkid: Used as part of Bugs' finishing gambit.
* ATasteOfDefeat: Although Bugs dominates the fight for the most part, Toro does get in a few good shots of his own ([[BulletSeed some quite literally]]).
* ThisMeansWar: Quoted by Bugs when he is first attacked by Toro.
* UnsportsmanlikeGloating: ''Both'' combatants have a bad habit of indulging in this a little too soon.
* VisualPun: The end curtain, which covers up Toro's behind.
* WheelOFeet: Toro, basically, during any of his charges.
* WriterRevolt: The reason the cartoon was made. Though it was [[JustifiedTrope justified]], because, as writer Michael Maltese said, "Eddie's never been right before..."