[[http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Continentals/ The Continentals]] crisscrosses the literary genres of murder/mystery, action/adventure, historical drama, horror, science fiction, and steampunk, "The Continentals" by writer/creator Darryl Hughes and artist Monique [=MacNaughton=], -- both nominated for the "Rising Star" category for the Glyph Comic Awards and creators of the upcoming relaunch of the furry fantasy adventure [[http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Chevalier/ CHEVALIER]] -- is a modern re-imagining of the classic 19th century Sherlock Holmes "who done it" murder mystery created for the 21st century comic fan.
The story begins in 1889. Barely a year after the mysterious Jack the Ripper's murderous rampage and equally mysterious disappearance, the city of Mansfordshire, England is shaken by a series of brutal "mangling" murders that plunge the city into an abyss of fear.
Investigating the case, Continental Operatives Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe and his partner the gender bending adventuress, Lady Fiona Fiziwigg, uncover the threads that bind the murderer, his victims, the highest echelons of society, it's lowest dregs, and even the police officers investigating the case in a tangled web of mystery, adventure, intrigue, and murder.
!!''The Continentals'' provides examples of:
* ActionGirl: The Adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg. Nuff said.
* AlcoholicParent: Reginald Abbeline, in the flashback as related by Dame Victoria.
* AxCrazy: The escaped mental patient known as The Mangler, the sinister and psychotic Mr. Qwist, hired man of the equally bent Dr. Daniel Abbeline.
* BedlamHouse: Like a dark castle built on the sins of man, TimbreDark Manor, asylum for the criminally insane, stands as a manmade monument to madness.
* ByTheBookCop: Inspector Norfolk is the prime example of this.
* CoolOldLady: Dame Victoria Ellesworth Poole is the coolest Gran'Mama in 19th century England.
* CrossDresser: The adventress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg cross dresses and lives her life like a man.
* DomesticAbuse: After the final rejection by his family, Reggie goes out, gets drunk -- and takes it out on his wife.
* HistoricalWebcomics: Speaks for itself.
* MIB: Continental Operative Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe and his gender bending partner the adventress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg work for a division of British Military Intelligence known only as The A.T.S.T.K.
* NiceHat: Just about everyone in the cast.
* NightmareFetishist: Fiona seems to be one of these.
* OfCorsetHurts: Fiona and Evelynne Poole have a delightful snipefest on the "benefits" of lacing up.
* RedOniBlueOni: Continental Operative Jeffrey Tiffen Smythe is a cultured, sophisticated, elegant gentleman and his gender bending partner the adventuress Lady Fiona Fiziwigg is a hot tempered, foul mouthed, do and say as I damned well please malcontent.
* SeparateSceneStorytelling: Dame Victoria recounts the Abbeline family tragedy for her party guests. Never let a perfectly juicy scandal go to waste!
* SteamPunk: The genre of fiction representing the Victorian era (fashion, architecture, machinery, etc) that The Continentals is set in.
* UpperClassTwit: Both Evelynne Poole and her older brother Clifford are prime examples. Evelynne can be described as the Paris Hilton of 19th century England.
* UrbanSegregation: The divide between the haves on the Westend of the city of Mansfordshire and the have nots on it's rundown Eastend.
* VictorianBritain: The Continentals is set in Victorian era England in a city called Mansfordshire.