[[caption-width:315:Daily Lessons in Science, Literature, Love and Life.]]
[[http://survivingtheworld.net/ Surviving the World]] is a daily, gag-a-day PhotoComic by Dante Shepherd, covering topics ranging from all over the map including life, romance, politics, science, etc.
Started in 2008, it has as of this writing over 1700 strips. Dante occasionally hosts a live stream for the making of the comic. These are normally ended with Him doing an impression of a raptor in a situation. It is awesome. It is also somewhat interactive with it's occasional "homeworks". It's also the only homework you've ever wanted to do.
Each comic takes the form of Dante, the professor of a class comprising of his viewers, standing with a blackboard with the day's lesson written on it. The lessons cover a wide range of topics, from social issues to practical advice to literary references (notably to [[Literature/AlicesAdventuresInWonderland Lewis Carroll]]).
It also includes a monthly crossword by Justin Smith.
!!Tropes used by this webcomic:
* AwesomeMcCoolname: Dante Shepherd. How is it not awesome?
* BerserkButton: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson167.html Proposition 8]].
* CPRCleanPrettyReliable: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson717.html He acknowledges drawbacks but advises you learn it anyway.]]
* DoAnythingRobot: Apparently all of them if he turns out to be right [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson1228.html]]
* FreudianSlip: He once went as this for Halloween.
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: The Blackboard the comic appears on changed often until Dante bought his own. Also the hat that he switches to possibly may be this or a MidSeasonUpgrade
* HotScientist: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson1238.html]]
** I am so so sorry
* MadScientist: As good a theory as any as to why they exist [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson1236.html]] and in some pictures he certainly looks like one, especially with his default BadassLabcoat.
* MathematiciansAnswer: Occasionally, in response to reader questions on Fridays. Usually overlaps with ComicallyMissingThePoint
* NeverBareHeaded: In every picture he has on a redsox ball cap. He's gone on record saying he wants his kids to think the hat is his normal hair.
* NoodleImplements: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Recitation33.html Manatees, Jetpacks, Rayguns.]]
* NotActuallyTheUltimateQuestion: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson722.html Therapeutic miscommunication]]
* NotThatKindOfDoctor: Dante himself as well as this strip on [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Recitation68.html getting a doctorate]]
* OneOfUs: [[http://twitter.com/danteshepherd/statuses/24943244051742720 As proven by this tweet.]]
* OnlyKnownByTheirNickname: Dante's wife, [=theSwede=], and his daughter, Cannonball. [=theSwede=] is also TheGhost, but he's held his infant daughter on-panel in one comic.
* OurZombiesAreDifferent: [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson740.html Of the real world, "living dead" variety]]
* PunnyName: Dante's Dog (and occasional guest lecturer) is named German. [[DontExplainTheJoke (Do as many pet owners do and apply the owner's last name to the pet)]]
** German is not, however, a German Shepherd. He's a large Beag- no, a Treeing Walker Coonhound.
* ScheduleSlip: Impressively averted for a webcomic that updates 7 days a week.
* ThatPoorCat: According to Dante cats make the best erasers
* TheTalk: On the differing views of [[http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson736.html Sex Ed]]
* WhyFandomCantHaveNiceThings: The rather hilarious Livestreams are threatened by people who record them and post them elsewhere. He doesn't potential employers to see his hijinx.
* WriterOnBoard: Dante is ''very'' concerned about climate change, and he's insistent on beating us over the head with that concern.