->'''Meta:''' Alright, I promise... but we're a little old for pinky swears.\\
'''Nilla:''' No such thing.
[[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog Shades of Green]] is a webcomic by Ricky Bieniek. Meta Knoxville, a 17-year-old crime-fighting punk rocker, narrates the story of how, at 14, he came to date [[FieryRedhead Nilla Aferson]], and how he came to have [[YouGottaHaveBlueHair green hair]]. It's every bit as ridiculous as it sounds.
Updates very sporadically.
!!Includes examples of:
* AbuseIsOkayWhenItIsFemaleOnMale: Nilla loves this trope.
* AuthorAppeal: See Anime Hair. Also, Nilla making silly faces.
* AuthorAvatar: Meta was one, years before the comic even began, but has since evolved into a completely different character.
* BerserkButton: Don't call Meta's friends nerds or losers!
* BiTheWay: Meta's mom, says [[WordofGod Word of God]].
* CheshireCatGrin: Meta gets one [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=137 here.]]
* CursedWithAwesome: Meta and Nick have a unique eye condition that gives them hyper focus, but they'll faint if they use it for too long.
* Fainting: Every time Meta faints, take a shot.
* FieryRedhead: Nilla
* GamerChick: Nilla
* GeekyTurnOn: Meta's initial reason for taking a liking to Nilla, and vice-versa.
* GoodScarsEvilScars: Jeremy has a tiny scar below his eye that has yet to be explained.
* HeroesWantRedheads: Take a guess.
* HotShonenMom: Meta's mom, Lisa Knoxville. Straight up.
* JerkAss: Clint and Dirk.
* JerkJock: ...Clint and Dirk.
* LimitedWardrobe: Mostly averted, as the characters wear new clothes each day. Played somewhat straight with Nick, who wears the same hat and sweatshirt every day, but changes pants.
* LuminescentBlush: Nilla, mostly, but Meta gets it every so often.
* MediumAwareness: Meta gets impaled by a word balloon in [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=73 this strip.]]
* MegaNekko: Past!Nilla
* MoodWhiplash: [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=139 Here]]
* NerdsAreSexy: Nilla
* OfficialCouple: Meta and Nilla.
* OhCrap: [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=34 Here]], and again immediately afterwards.
* OnlySixFaces: Averted for the most part. All the female characters even have their own distinctive [[BlushSticker "blush marks."]]
* PunnyName: See "Stealth Pun" below.
* PreAssKickingOneLiner: Seen [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=065 here.]]
* RunningGag: Nicole calls Nilla by a different fictional redhead's name each time she addresses her.
* ShirtlessScene: Meta gets a brief one as he prepares for his date.
* ShoutOut: Loads. Meta singing the Pokémon theme, Nilla "saving a lot of data," Phoenix Wright appears on the DS, Meta has a Bowser plush in his closet, and that's not even mentioning that every single shirt Meta wears has some form of shout out on it.
* TheSpeechless: Missy is one, to everybody except Ken.
* SpoiledSweet: Janice
* StealthPun: Clint and Dirk's names, specifically chosen to resemble "Cunt" and "Dick."
** Nilla's middle name (though not stated in the comic) is Winona, making her "Nilla W. Aferson."
* TakeThat: Meta jabs ''Twilight'' (and shipping in general) in [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=081 this strip.]]
* TokenMinority: Soup, primarily, but also Nicole (who is hispanic).
* Tsundere: Nilla. Best illustrated [[http://meta.fireball20xl.com/sog/comic.php?id=27 here.]]
* WriteWhoYouKnow: [[WordOfGod Word of God]] says that characters without a given last name (so far including Jeremy, Nicole, Julie, Jess, Soup, and TJ) are loosely based on friends of his.
* YouGottaHaveBlueHair: Meta's hair is neon green in the present. Subverted somewhat in that he dyes it, and people react as though it's not something they see every day.