[[http://newamerica.thecomicseries.com/ New America]] is an online graphic novel by Grace Mulcahy, taking place in and around a human colony on the planet Novaus. This planet is inhabited by an alien race called the rubre who make up nearly half the cast.
Off the coast resides an island owned by an allegedly peaceful society in protest of organized religion. However, since the death of its original founder, the movement has fallen into the hands of Sevastian Quinlan, the schizophrenic son of the founder, and Sithar Noens, a rubran dictator who owns the island’s property. Through Noens’ manipulation of Sevastian’s mental instability, the movement begins taking captives and placing demands on the New American government. The story begins with “Guy” Adaman, Noens’ servant and ward to several hostages, as he learns to rebel with the help of a youthful hostage, Artie Lachance. Soon, the two come to realize that Noens has a far more wicked conspiracy in mind, one which will affect a larger scale of people.
The main plot is encompassed by a frame story which takes place 80 years after these events. It is implied that the events described are solely fabricated by author Laurie Clarke, but as time progresses, this proves much less likely…
Updates Tuesdays and Fridays.
!! New America contains examples of:
* AbusiveDad: The WordOfGod implies that Noens’ father was this [[spoiler:and thus Noens exhibits the same sort of treatment toward Eonous.]]
-->'''Noens:''' Just why is that boy so damn special? … ''Alfie Lasharts'' or whatever the piss his name is.\\
'''Guy:''' Artie ''Lachance''\\
'''Noens:''' Oh, thanks. Obviously I really care to know that.
* AffablyEvil: Noens is pretty bro for a murderous dictator.
* AliensSpeakingEnglish: Most rubre can pick up human languages. Eonous can only speak English despite being a rubre.
* AwkwardFatherSonBondingActivity: I guess for [[spoiler:Artie and Joshie]] that would be [[spoiler:infiltrating a corrupt movement]] together.
* BackStory: ''New America'' is meant to be the groundwork for a bigger story, ''Ensanguine'', which is set to come out sometime in 2013.
* BeneathTheMask: Literally, for both Noens- [[spoiler: no teeth behind gold jaw]] and Centurann- [[spoiler: human face.]]
* BenevolentAlienInvasion: Supposedly how humans got to Novaus.
* BigBad: At first glance, Sevastian.
* BiggerBad: Consistently, Noens.
* BigBrotherInstinct: Guy towards his little sister Ellis, Rhett towards Artie, and Matty toward Laurie. Conversely, Seva doesn’t seem to possess this trait with Scarlett at all…
* BreakTheCutie: Both Artie and Eonous are heavily subject to this. Laurie aswell, but to a lesser extent.
* CharacterNameAlias: The hero cast from the main story all go by aliases.
** "Guy" Adaman
** Nicholas "Artie" Lachance
** Frederic "Rhett" Lachance
** Hanna "Scarlett" Quinlan
** Natasha "Celie" Carter
* CrimeMagnet: Eonous, particularly prone to kidnapping.
* CultColony: The Fundamental Free-Thought Movement.
* DaddyIssues: Matty.
* DeadpanSnarker: Noens, more menacing than endearing.
* DecoyProtagonist: Laurie is touted as the protagonist, but [[spoiler:really she’s just the messenger…]]
* DeliberateValuesDissonance: Human values (liberal) vs. rubre values (conservative.) Mostly played upon with Noens’ distaste toward Seva’s hedonism, but Guy shows traces of this as well with his opinions toward Scarlett’s relatively inoffensive outfit choice [[http://newamerica.thecomicseries.com/comics/25/]]
* DrivenToVillainy: Out of poverty, Centurann and Jasteal.
* DysfunctionalFamily: Yup.
* ElvesVersusDwarves: Humans versus rubre, at least in Noens' mind.
* [[spoiler:EveryoneIsRelated]]: *Knowing glance*
* FallenStatesOfAmerica: New America is merely a remnant of what the United States once was, with a now non-existent Constitution.
* FamilyDisunion: Pretty much everyone's problem in this comic.
* FemmeFatale: Centurann.
** "There is a disease, Adaman... and I cannot tolerate it anymore." [[http://newamerica.thecomicseries.com/comics/277]]
** [[spoiler: Guy’s nosebleeds. To be more obvious upon the release of ''Ensanguine''.]]
* GratuitousFrench: Sometime in the author’s freshman year of high school, she began taking French classes and concurrently decided that making Artie speak primarily in French would be fun. Four years later, that decision remains a pain in the ass.
* HalfHumanHybrid: Centurann, Jasteal, Sophie, and technically Oswald.
* HappilyAdopted: [[spoiler:Artie by Joshua.]]
* HeroComplex: "Nothing is impossible for the ''handsome protagonist!''" [[http://newamerica.thecomicseries.com/comics/281/]]
* HorribleJudgeOfCharacter: Being as Centurann is an anarchist revolutionary, you'd think Eonous would know she isn't really interested in him, the king and embodiment of the state. You'd be wrong.
* HumanoidAliens: The rubre.
* IncompatibleOrientation: Seva loves Artie. Artie likes girls.
* ItRunsInTheFamily: Insanity is pretty much the only constant in Laurie's family.
* LongLostRelative: Rhett and Artie were separated until shortly before they were both captured.
* KillAllHumans: [[spoiler:Noens' modest goal.]]
* MissingMom: Laurie's mother.
* MySisterIsOffLimits: The basis of Matty's dislike for Noah.
* NewFirstComics: The first 50 pages were rewritten and redrawn the summer of 2011.
* NoSexAllowed: Every rubre character, unless explicitly stated as being married, is a virgin due to a very conservative culture and really extreme bonding mechanics within the rubre psyche. When a rubre has sex, their body is forever committed to their partner, therefore sex IS marriage (Not really mentioned within, but again, WordOfGod.)
* OddCouple: George and Magnice.
* OlderThanTheyLook: Pretty much everyone in the frame story and several characters in the main story as well, as people on Novaus generally live a 200 year lifespan.
* RealMenWearPink: Noens (rather, real men ''are'' pink.)
* RichPeople: Laurie's family.
* SimultaneousArcs: Each chapter switches between the main story and the frame story, with some chapters blending the two.
* SingleTargetSexuality: The only person Seva has ever been attracted to and will ever be attracted to is Artie.
* SufficientlyAdvancedAlien and/or InsufficientlyAdvancedAlien: The rubre are technologically decades ahead of humans but are socially not very "progressive," though really they understand social issues much differently than humans do.
* TheHedonist: Sevastian. Artie has fallen into this behavior on more than one occasion.
* UnrequitedLove: Guy loves Celie. Celie thinks he's okay.
* VillainessesWantHeroes: Or rather, the hero wants the villainess in the case of Eonous and Centurann.
* WeCanRuleTogether: "You have done my bidding for years... I can think of no one more fitting for the postion than you, my old friend."[[http://newamerica.thecomicseries.com/comics/275/]]