A webcomic created in late 2008 by Creator/DavidHerbert, Living with Insanity is a surreal humour strip that deals with the day to day life of some odd individuals.
Originally created out of Herbert's frustration from dealing with artists who dropped out on projects, the comic updated week-daily for over a month until harsh criticism caused him to abandon the artistic duties and hire Paul Salvi. Together, the two have managed to amass a readership in the thousands.
The story is about Herbert's AuthorAvatar David, who has survived a car accident that left him brain damaged and reliant of hallucinogenic drugs. However, the driver gave him a settlement that allowed David to retire and make comics full time. Lonely from living alone, David bought a cat and a sentient robot head, both of whom wish to kill him, and soon gained a roommate named Alice. Eventually he was sent an artist named Paul, Salvi's author avatar, who has become addicted to David's drugs.
The comic was originally auto-biographical with many fantastical elements inserted, but the auto-biography seems to be gone in favour of surreal plots.
You can find it [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/ here.]]
!!This comic contains examples of:
* AffectionateParody: This was meant to be the case with the Talent Scouting arc, towards [[LeastICouldDo Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza]], whom Herbert looks up to as creators.
* AllDevouringBlackHoleLoansharks: Only way Alice could have [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=352 wracked up so much debt]] in a year.
* AnimalWrongsGroup: With the unfortunate name ANAL.
* ArtistDisillusionment: David has had some moments of this.
* CatsAreMean: The cat wants to kill David.
* CensorBox: Salvi draws full frontal nudity, but hides it with these. There can also be some hidden jokes when you see the sizes.
* ChewbaccaDefence: Mentioned in [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=185 this]] strip.
* CreatorBreakdown: The reason David stopped drawing the strip.
* DeconstructiveParody: The Bad Writing arc.
* DependingOnTheArtist: The characters got many redesigns when Paul came on board.
* FilmNoir: The Noir arc.
* FriendsRentControl: At first Alice was David's tenant, despite being unemployed. After a year, she finally got a job to pay back everything she owed.
* GenreAdultery: While this is a comedy strip, Herbert's [[http://indyplanet.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=773 print comics]] and DomainTnemrot tend to be serious stories with some dark tones.
* HammerSpace: Where David summon [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=12 Hammer Time]].
* HeyYou: No matter the situation, David refuses to [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=85 respond to anyone who calls him Dave]]. Apparently this is also the same in RL.
* HypocriticalHumour: Alice spends all day dealing with annoying customers, then while getting coffee, she yells at the waitress. David calls it the circle of life.
* ParodySue: The Bad Writing arc parodied a lot of bad writing tropes, but mainly this one.
* SelfDeprecation: Herbert's blogs and author's notes are full of this.
* SelfParody: The [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=576 new arc]] takes a shot at David's printed series [[http://tinyurl.com/38mg7t2 Gemini Storm]].
* SeriesHiatus: Not very often, but there was one in January that was only supposed to last two weeks and wound up going for an extra month.
* ShoutOut: [[http://www.livingwithinsanity.com/index/?p=375 The cat]] knows [[PvP Scratch Fury]]
* TakeThat: Has been done several times.
* WriteWhoYouKnow: David and Paul. Alice is also based off of a girl Herbert was dating when he started the comic.