[[http://www.herointrainingcomic.com/ Hero In Training]] is an [[AdventureSeries Adventure]] webcomic exploring ideas about heroism.
While the predominately teenage lead characters, their relationships with each other and colorful character backgrounds may remind people of Webcomic/ElGoonishShive and Webcomic/TheWotch (and the author likes those comics), Webcomic/HeroInTraining itself is darker and less wacky.
The comic centres around the main character's transformation into a hero, via the tuition of a godlike entity that apparently does this for all heroes, everywhere, anywhen. The powers are mostly not active, and the hero has no idea he's using them, but they alter luck and probability to create strange and implausible situations, from alien encounters to run-ins with paramilitary. Eventually, events begin to spiral out of control and the dramatic events that were originally thought to be due to TheProtagonist become more far-reaching and sinister.
Hero in Training plays around with tropes the author created the early plot as a satire of SunnydaleSyndrome in other webcomics.
!!This provides examples of:
* ActionGirl Anne
* ArtEvolution (the early strips were completely redrawn after the author's art progressed)
* BaitAndSwitchGunshot: When [[spoiler: Alpha is about to shoot Gareth. We see a hand firing a gun... And then Alpha falls over dead. Turns out Omega was ''dead serious'' about not killing unarmed innocents.]]
--> [[spoiler: Dr. Norman]]: "You've heard of ISEC, right?"
--> Jack: "That's the international ethics councel thingy, right?"
--> [[spoiler: Dr. Norman]]: "Yes. We usually drop the 'thingy' in casual discussion, though."
* BullyingADragon: Yes, Sebastian, spend all your time picking on the most ripped guy in school, a martial artist, the guy who used to to threaten you with a homemade flamethrower, and their new friend who attacked you with a sword. There's no possible way that ''that'' could backfire.
* Catgirl: [[spoiler:Rachel/Kyrin, the girl they find in the secret lab where Jack's father works.]]
* CompulsorySchoolAge: Gareth suggests this for Sanyiel. Jack [[http://www.herointrainingcomic.com/?date=2006-12-24 points out why it's stupid.]] They end up going with it anyway.
* CrapsackWorld: Well, city anyway. Ashville has been described as "dystopian" on at least one occasion, and the heroes don't find it at all odd that a group of supposed thugs would have a sniper rifle because hey, it's Ashville.
* CrazyPrepared: Jack, or Koops as the others call him.
-->Jack: "No, it couldn't have been him, I locked his door."
-->Anne: "Koops, the window."
-->Jack: "And boarded up the window."
-->Anne: "Well, he could've..."
-->Jack: "And booby-trapped the landing, rigged hairtrigger alarms on all the exits, bugged the bathroom and snuck a webcam into his room while he was changing. I've got nine hours of footage of him sleeping like a baby. Trust me, he didn't do it."
-->Anne: "I don't know whether to be reassured or very, very, very scared."
* CuttingTheKnot: Sebastian, [[http://www.herointrainingcomic.com/?date=2007-12-27 here.]]
* EverybodyLaughsEnding: Chapter five.
* HistoricalVillainUpgrade: Sanyiel gives Ariel (of Disney's ''Disney/TheLittleMermaid'') this when he misinterprets the phrase "stole the hearts of a whole generation", leading to the EverybodyLaughsEnding of chapter five.
* HollywoodHacking: Subverted.
--> Gareth: "Can't you just hack the door open?"
--> Jack: "It's a stick of metal with a screen, how the hell am I supposed to hack that?"
* MeaningfulName: Sanyiel means "God hates me" in Hebrew. It's... fairly accurate.
* NoOneCouldSurviveThat: [[spoiler: Mel]], after falling off a building. You'd think that Gareth would at least look at the corpse before declaring this, though.
* ObfuscatingStupidity: [[spoiler: Dr. Norman]] isn't quite the [[spoiler: AbsentMindedProfessor]] that he appears to be. This does backfire on him in at least one respect, though.
--> Jack: "I'm not going to trust anyone who can trick me into thinking he's an idiot."
* PalsWithJesus is pretty much the basis for the entire comic.
* PetTheDog: When [[spoiler: Sebastian's bullying of Jack and Gareth is interrupted by Jack's dad bleeding to death, Sebastian immediately stops bullying them and saves his life]]. He's still kind of a dick about it, though. [[spoiler: Then he insists on helping them break into a secure facility]].
* RedEyesTakeWarning: Sanyiel, when he was wielding Choran. [[spoiler: The trainer as well, at the start of chapter ten]].
** [[spoiler: Subverted, turns out that's not the Trainer.]]
* RedPillBluePill (but Gareth only remembers it when dreaming)
* SelfMadeOrphan: [[spoiler: Mel]]
* SeriesContinuityError: In chapter seven, Anne says her traumatic backstory happened when she was five, but in chapter four it happened when she was six. Considering she's a senior in high school and it's apparently been ten years, six is more likely.
* Shout Out: [[AustinPowers Sharks]] [[http://www.herointrainingcomic.com/?date=2009-09-26 with]] FrickinLaserBeams.
-->Jack: "I swear, whenever you need that girl, she's always..."
-->Anne: "Right ''behind'' you."
* TakingTheBullet: [[spoiler: Jack]] does this for [[spoiler: Gareth]]. It doesn't hit anything vital, though. [[spoiler: It also has the side effect of convincing Omega that they're not bad people]].
* TalkingTheMonsterToDeath: [[spoiler: Anne's BreakingSpeech is harsh enough that Mell backs away from her in fear... Right off the edge of a building]].
* TemptingFate: Anne remarks that if the thugs chasing them only have knives and sidearms, she can handle them in close quarters. Cut to the "thugs" unpacking a rocket launcher.
* TheyWouldCutYouUp: Jack seems to think this might happen [[http://www.herointrainingcomic.com/?date=2007-07-13 if Sanyiel gets found out]].
* TraumaCongaLine: Is revealed as Annes backstory in the fourth chapter, where the line of trauma is finished off in a tragically brutal manner.