->"We were separated. The beast must have devoured him. This was the only trace I found."
An enigmatic 10-page horror comic, reminiscent of Creator/EdgarAllanPoe. When a wolf begins terrorizing their village, two brothers venture out into the woods to find and kill it. Only one comes back. Claiming that the wolf got his brother, the survivor wins the admiration of the villagers (who had previously mocked him).
Then his brother comes back, although it may not really his brother, and he panics.
''Face All Red'' has been praised by Creator/KateBeaton and Creator/ScottMcCloud for its pacing and atmosphere. Can be found [[http://emcarroll.com/comics/faceallred/01.html here]].
The author, [[http://www.emcarroll.com/ Emily Carroll]], has written other comics as well--some in the same horror vein, others with different moods. They're all well worth a read.
!!''Face All Red'' contains examples of
* TheAce: The older brother, who is strong, handsome, and easily liked.
* CainAndAbel: The protagonist is the Cain, admitting on page one that he killed his brother.
* ChekhovsGun: [[spoiler:The torn coat.]]
* ComfortingTheWidow: Implied.
* FaceRevealingTurn: [[spoiler:The comic ends with the brother's body turning his head to look at the protagonist.]]
* GainaxEnding: [[spoiler:What was he digging? Which one was his brother?]]
* InfiniteCanvas: The page grows longer while they're in the woods. Also inverted on a couple of one-panel pages.
* IronicEcho: "Came from the woods." (most strange things do)
* LeftHanging: [[spoiler:The protagonist climbs down the hole to see if his brother's body is there. It is, still bloody. It turns to look. The end.]]
* MindScrew: [[spoiler:Why is the "fake" brother digging? What ''is'' it? Is the dead brother alive? Was it really a wolf that killed the animals?]]
* NamelessNarrative: The characters, apart from the protagonist, are "my brother" and "his starry-eyed wife."
* RedOniBlueOni: Older brother and younger brother, respectively.
* SiblingYinYang: The younger brother is a poor, weakling man who's laughed at when he says he'll find the beast wrecking their farms. The elder is a rich, handsome man with a beautiful wife who is admired by all.
* TheResenter: The younger brother. [[spoiler:Especially when he knows that everyone will be grateful to his brother when they say what happens in the woods--and laugh at the younger brother for hiding.]]
* VillainProtagonist: The younger brother [[spoiler: shoots his brother because he resents him. However, he may be ALighterShadeOfGrey compared to the monster... if it even exists.]]
* YoungestChildWins: The younger brother tries this. The admiration for his brother is transferred to him for supposedly killing the wolf, his brother's wife seeks comfort in his arms, and he sleeps easily. Then his brother comes back.