->''"Love with your heart, but use your head for everything else."''
-->-- '''Captain Disillusion'''
Captain Disillusion is a web video series created by Latvian-born independent film maker Alan Melikdjanian. The series was started on September 18, 2007 and is still going on today.
The titular Captain D is a skeptic from the future who uses his superior critical thinking powers and intimate knowledge of digital editing and effects to debunk viral hoax videos on the internet. These videos include but are not limited to [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE1OmvERQek ghosts]], [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-CiG7seUU aliens]], [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8sGTh7ZpoY impossible stunts]], and much more. But Captain D isn't alone he has to put up with an annoying living LensFlare named Mr. Flare and, more occasionally, a giant floating head goddess named Holly.
Here's his Website/YouTube [[http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainDisillusion channel]].
!!This show contains examples of:
* ADogNamedDog: Mr. Flare, the flare.
* AmbiguouslyHuman: Although appearing to be human it's never really clear what Captain D is.
** The same can be said for Holly.
* ArbitrarySkepticism: Despite the wide range of strange and impossible things Captain D deals with in the videos, including but not limited to giant floating heads, cartoon characters visiting him, and sentient lens flares, he remains incredibly skeptical of supernatural claims.
* CatchPhrase: "Love with your heart, but use your head for everything else."
* CouchGag: Or rather, Exit Gag. At the end of every video Captain Disillusion exits in a humorous way.
* CurseCutShort: Subverted. Captain D shuts off Mr. Flare just when he's about to curse. Later, he turns him back on, and he finishes the curse.
* DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment: A one-off segment in one episode is described as "Today's daily word of the day".
* EveryEpisodeEnding: "But now it's time for me to go, kids..." followed by mentioning someone he needs to help (or hurt, on at least one occasion), followed by him leaving the set some way.
* FanDisservice: Holly taking on human form in a cute dress looks like fanservice until you notice the gigantic scar that wraps around her neck, making her almost look like she's been hanged.
* HeroicBSOD: He freaks out when he can't easily identify the trick used in his ''Randi + Pantry Ghost... Debunk?'' video and when confronted by Randi he says he is "beaten and out of the game". [[spoiler: He couldn't identify it because it was a practical effect instead of the more commonly used digital editing]].
* LettingTheAirOutOfTheBand: Happens when the Captain tries (and fails) to debunk the Pantry Ghost.
* LittleMissAlmighty: Holly.
* MediumBlending: In the episode "Shark Surfer Debunk", the stories of how Holly and Cap met are portrayed in animation.
* MoodWhiplash: Captain D pauses in the [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8sGTh7ZpoY 'Miss Ping Debunk']] video to advertise for "Knives; they cut...and they don't ask *** questions" before cheerily returning to the topic.
* ReasonYouSuckSpeech: Captain D gives one to Holly in "Shark Surfer".
-->'''Holly''': Name one thing about me that isn't perfect!
-->'''Captain Disillusion''': Are you kidding me? You have a problem communicating. You never call, you only text. What's that about? And the text messages all contradict each other. You love making up rules for things people know to do anyway, and you get so angry about the slightest little infractions while major world problems don't seem to concern you at all! You say that you have a plan, that you know what you're doing, but you never seem to, and when stuff goes wrong it's always somehow everybody else's fault. You're paranoid, vindictive and controlling, except you don't really control anything!
* ScienceHero: A weird variation in that Captain Disillusion doesn't use gadgets to stop crime but rather promotes rationality (And might probably not count as a classical hero).
* ScienceShow: In a sense.
* SmallNameBigEgo: Holly. Captain D even introduces her as having delusions of grandeur.
* SpecialGuest: James Randi, who helps the Captain debunk an illusion that relies on old-fashioned physical effects and not digital editing.
** MickeyMouse shows up when Captain D debunks a video of a supposed ghost at Disneyland, claiming he's there to audit the video because Captain D said "Disney" three times within a few seconds.
** Beakman of ''[[Series/BeakmansWorld Beakman's World]]'' co-stars in an episode debunking perpetual motion machines to provide scientific explanations of thermodynamics and magnets.
** In the debunk video ''Quick D: Flying Girl'' Creator/CirqueDuSoleil performer Erica Linz has a brief appearance.
* StalkerWithACrush: Holly is like this towards Captain Disillusion, badgering him for dates and insisting they were made for each other despite Cap's repeated rejections.
* TakeThat: In "Fresno Nightcrawlers," the Captain notes that "lesser minds" have analyzed the footage before, just as a clip from the ''Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files'' episode featuring the video plays.
* TakeThatAudience: Done a lot in ''Ghost Caught by Dog Debunk'', where the Captain feels people were way too easily tricked by something really simple.
-->'''Captain Disillusion''': That's not [[ItMakesSenseInContext a face of a demon in the window]], it's just you being a gullible doofus.
** He also responded to the massive amount of people that saw that Mickey Mouse had breasts on his ''Disneyland Ghost Debunk'' video. Who was playing Mickey? [[spoiler:'''[[FanDisservice Himself]]''']].
* TakeThatMe: When Mr. Flare almost takes over the show, he claims one of the changes he'll make is they'll stop using "debunk" as a noun.
-->'''Mr. Flare''': That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!