[[WMG: Marie vs. Debra]]
* One theory that's been posited online is the idea that the ''real'' reason why Marie and Debra don't get along is because they both want complete control over Ray. This makes their goals mutually exclusive. Thus, Marie sees Debra as a threat to the control she's had over Ray since he was a child (which is why she's always quick to insult Debra), and Debra sees Marie as an obstacle in her own goal of ''gaining'' complete control over Raymond now that they're married.
** To take that theory a step further: Ray, Frank, Robert, the kids, and even Amy, are all just pawns in a never-ending chess game for power between Marie and Debra.
[[WMG: Debra was abused as a child.]]
By a man. Because of that, she subconsciously took her rage out on Ray, because he is the closest man in her life, much like the man who abused her was.
** Warren doesn't seem like the abusive type to me...
** The OP said a man in general, that doesn't necessarily mean her father.
[[WMG:Ray Barone cheated on Debra some time in the past and she uses this fact, along with his desire to keep his family together to torment and generally be as unpleasant as possible in every episode.]]
Think about:Debra goes out of her way to browbeat and humiliate Ray almost every chance she gets. She won't have sex w/ him on numerous occasions and demeans even loving gestures from him towards her.
Unless she is just an anti-social personality and in need of serious counseling (which she may well be) the only RATIONAL explanation is that Ray cheated on her in the past and she uses that fact to "punish" him at every opportunity.
** I doubt it. As we've learned, Ray wasn't exactly a womanizer in high school (in fact, he was a geek), and could barely read Debra's signals when they first met. And when they finally slept together, he cried from embarrassment. A guy who is so shy that he basically lucked out in landing Debra at all wouldn't be outgoing enough to dare press his luck with another woman.
** Although in a crossover episode with ''Series/TheKingofQueens'' (''Rayging Bulls''), Ray is depicted as somebody who has no objection to going out clubbing with Doug Heffernan while their respective wives are both out of town; the fact they are seen trying to pick up girls to prove they've still got it appears to be a bit out of character for Ray. If Ray has, in fact, been tempted to stray in the past this would explain his conduct better!
[[WMG: At some point in the future, Ray and Debra will be the "New Frank and Marie."]]
Given the way the characters interact, it's possible. Further supported by the fact that Marie has repeatedly hinted at the fact that her own relationship with Frank's mother was VERY similar to the present-day relationship between Debra and Marie. Then, there's the fact that Ray shares his father's talent for being a DeadpanSnarker, while Debra shares many of Marie's personality traits (desire to control Ray, among other things). Given these facts, it's really not that hard to imagine that a half-century later, Ray and Debra will seem virtually identical to present-day Frank and Marie.
** In the episode where Ray and Debra learn that Frank and Marie separated, Younger!Frank and Younger!Marie were played by, who else, Ray Romano and Patricia Heaton.
[[WMG: [[spoiler: Peter and Peggy]] will get married at some point after the finale]]
They got together during one of the last few episodes of the show, so presumably they were still together when the show ended. Plus [[spoiler: Peter]] clearly mentioned during the episode that he certainly ''wants'' to get married at some point. And [[spoiler: Peggy]] was clearly enamored of his personality. So presumably they will get married at some point in the future, which means that [[spoiler: Peggy]] and her daughter Molly, Ally's best friend, will officially be part of the family.
[[WMG: Debra's JerkSue-ness and the problems later in the series are a StealthParody]]
The fact that the main character is so downbeaten compared to a wife who is obviously in the wrong a lot of the time, but is still treated right, it's entirely possible that we're actually ''meant'' to root for Ray and realize that Debra is being extremely unreasonable. The problem? A lot of women in the audience cheered whenever Debra did anything, and sort of ruined the gag.
** Given that Ray Romano was the driving creative force behind the show and is by no means an idiot this may very well be true. The fans treatment of the Ray/Debra relationship (as well as Peter Boyle's health) however may be one of the reasons he decided not to continue the show despite the fact that it was still very successful. Nobody got the joke anymore.
** The show did this from the beginning with Marie, who would always win even when it was obvious to everyone sometimes including herself that she was wrong, they eventually gave the same treatment to Debra and at times even Amy.
** Studio audience reactions for sitcoms aren't a spontaneous thing. Audiences are basically required to laugh (loudly) at most anything, over multiple takes. This is not a good indicator that the audience "didn't get the joke".
[[WMG: Series/EverybodyLovesRaymond and Series/TheKingOfQueens occur in the same universe.]]
There are a few episodes in each series that contain crossovers between characters.
** In ''The King Of Queens'', we have an episode where Ray comes over to Doug and Carrie's house to hang out for the weekend, and another episode where nearly the entire main cast (Ray, Deborah, Frank, Marie) of ''Everybody Loves Raymond'' appears in character.
** In ''Everybody Loves Raymond'', Doug once appears delivering a package to Ray's house.
** Kevin James, though, appeared most often in early episodes of ELR as Ray's friend Kevin - at least four times. He was evidently RetConned to explain their first meeting in the driving test centre doing the written test for the driving licence. (His early appearances as Kevin being long before the conception of KOQ?)
[[WMG: The male Barones are shapeshifters.]]
* In one episode Garvin and Stan are debating if frank is a witch or a warlock, not whether or not he is supernatural but rather what kind they then settle on the devil, incarnate of the beast, beezlebub
* In an earlier episode robert dresses as santa ally sees right through the disguise and says its uncle robert, which leads to the infamous line, "no no little one, ive only assumed the body of a life form you would accept" before shifting his eyes nervously
* the episode raybert was at first glance to be robert stealing raymonds life story to pick up women but it was actually robert and raymond swapping forms so raymond could escape his crumbling marriage for some fun and robert could live out his fantasies of having it all, kids, a nice house, making love to debra in the process fixing raymonds marriage for him.
it seems to be a male barone trait which is why we never have evidence of marie shifting, though we hear of her mystical powers from time to time. More on that later.
* debra is an outsider looking in but after marriage was trapped into it as the barones now have her scent
* raymond was ecstatic to learn he was having a boy after having only a daughter in order for him to pass his trait along, and realizing he was having twins made it all the more better
* jeffrey takes after frank and raymond much more whereas michael is more human so has more trouble with the shifting, casuing him to have problems in school as well
* robert was always the blacksheep of the family because he did not transition as easily as raymond did; raymond since birth could shift almost fluidly so robert allowed his shifting to lay dormant. it comes in handy as hes a cop
* they watch sports often as they wish to analyze the structure of the players in order to accurately shift into their form
* franks father beat him because he took in the natural shifter form, a reptilian humanoid. he felt human-shifter hybrids were inferior and wished to beat the human out of his boy and although frank clearly felt the same prejudice the human love of his sons overcame his animalistic shifter ideals
* marie is obsessed with robert giving her grandchildren, a grandson mostly, because she is a succubus who gains power from her surroundings. the more powerful those she is connected to are, the more powerful she ultimately is which is why her and debra always butt heads; debra is a mere human and gave her human-shifter grandchildren, making ally a complete waste in her eyes and michael and jeffrey only 1/2 as powerful as they should be. she takes a liking to amy because she has a dormant succubus trait, meaning if she and robert have kids it will be 1/2 succubus or 1/2 shifter
* and when robert believes he might be gay marie is on board because he could mate with another shifter creating another pureblood, possibly a rare female shifter.