[[WMG: Griddlebone was complicit in the Siamese attack on Growltiger's barge.]]
During "Growltiger's Last Stand", Growltiger is too distracted romancing Griddlebone to notice the Siamese slipping aboard his vessel, and Griddlebone escapes during the resultant confusion. Wouldn't the Siamese have made a point of taking her hostage to ensure Growltiger's surrender? A fluffy white cat like her would have stuck out like a sore thumb in even the most modest of lighting. Later on, during "Macavity: The Mystery Cat", Griddlebone is mentioned as one of his accomplices. This indicates two things:
# Macavity is not much younger than Deuteronomy, as Asparagus, already established as past middle-aged by feline standards had played Growltiger in his youth.
# Macavity conspired with the Siamese to ensure the ultimate downfall of Growltiger, using their mutual hatred as a lynchpin. Why? Because Growltiger refused to work with him to secure the Thames for his own use.
Macavity knew that Growltiger, as a sailor and, by his territorial behavior, likely an intact tom, would crave the company of a lady cat. Enter Griddlebone. Griddlebone was directed to romance and distract Growltiger, who would likely order his crew to give the two of them some privacy for their interlude. In the meantime, she kept in close touch with Macavity in the days leading up to her meeting with Growltiger, establishing a set of signals to let the Siamese know the time was right to sneak aboard the vessel. The Siamese had been ordered not to touch her on pain of Dire Consequences from Macavity. Whether they complied or not is unknown, but her role in Growltiger's downfall is apparently later discovered by the rest of the cat community.
* "Then Griddlebone she gave a screech, for she was badly skewered. I'm sorry to admit it but she quickly disappeared. She probably escaped with ease, I'm sure she was not drowned..."
** "Badly ''skeered''" (scared), not "skewered". And she might well be "skeered" even if she knows the Siamese are ''suppposed'' to let her go.
* A community theater production of Cats near this troper's home had this. Griddlebone spent a good deal of the Italian aria glancing over her shoulder and beckoning urgently at the Siamese.
[[WMG: Concerning familial relations (parent-child, brother-sister) among cats:]]
Parent - Child theories:
* Old Deuteronomy - Macavity, Munkustrap, Rum Tum Tugger and Mr. Mistoffelees, as all seem to be very powerful and important Jellicles
** apart form the curl in the fringe Old Deuteronomys wig look like a more ragged grey version of Rum Tum Tuggers so this troper always thought it was intentional family resemblance.
* Macavity - Quaxo/Mr. Mistoffelees, because both have magical powers.
* Grizabella - Rum Tum Tugger, as he has a mane and she seems to have a mane-ish thing
* Some fans think that either Jemima or Electra is Demeter's kitten. (The dad varies from Munkustrap/Alonzo/Macavity.)
* Jellylorum is the daughter of Gus the theatre cat. They have a close caring relationship and she has heard his stories enough to able to prompt him and fill in the blanks when he falters probably because she heard them all many times whilst growing up. Similarly Victoria and Etcetera are her kittens. Etcetera has similar colouring and Jellylorum is the queen with the most white in her coat. Also whilst Jellylorum is very protective of the younger cats its mainly Etcetera and Victoria that she focuses her attention on trying to protect them from McCavity and Grizzabella and she is the one they run to when scared.
* Old Deuteronomy and Macavity - sort of a CainAndAbel, except Macavity's probably the younger one.
* Munkustrap and Rum Tum Tugger - the leading male cats. Munkustrap is the older, the eldest son of Old Deuteronomy, and grew up with the knowledge that he would lead the Jellicles one day. Rum Tum Tugger is the younger, and became a rebel. However, he has matured somewhat, and will make an excellent [[TheLancer Lancer]] for his older brother.
** It would add some CharacterDevelopment to Tugger, as well; maybe Tugger is jealous of all the attention Munkustrap gets, and feels like he has to act up and put on a big show to get people to pay attention to him [[FunnyMoments (going so far as to interrupt Munkustrap's story of the Pekes and the Pollicles with a little improv bagpipe number).]]
** Or, Munkustrap, Tugger, Macavity and Alonzo. ItMakesSenseInContext... This troper and her friend have several of these theories.
* Tumblebrutus and Pouncival - Their markings are too similar for them ''not'' to be related in some way.
** Similarly, sometimes Electra and Etcetera are considered related, because of their rather similar names and how they seem to have a SiblingYinYang thing going on. (Electra being dark and quiet, Etcetera being pale and hyperactive.)
** Similarly, at least in the 1998 video, Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer have ''very'' similar markings.
* If you don't think they're a couple, sometimes Victoria and Mistoffelees are thought of as siblings.
* the younger Asparagus that appears is the son of Gus the theatre cat and the brother of Jellylorum. They are very similar coloring and agewise.
[[WMG: Concerning friendship/romantic relationships among cats:]]
* Bombalurina seems a bit excited when singing about Macavity - EvilIsSexy?
** And Demeter seems to know a ''lot'' about him...
* HoYay - Rum Tum Tugger and Mr. Mistoffelees - the fact that someone as egotistical and self-centered as RTT would sing a song highly praising another cat, plus the fact that they dance together...
** Plus, in some productions, Rum Tum Tugger [[ShipTease gives Mistoffelees a little kiss after he sings,]][[HotAndCold "The Rum Tum Tugger is a terrible Bore."]]
*** I always thought that was supposed to be a TakeThatKiss.
* Victoria and... everyone. Mistoffelees, Plato, and a brief (two-ish seconds) helping of Munkustrap.
* How about everyone/everyone? Well, they are ''cats.'' Cats don't know what monogamy is.
* Munkustrap and Demeter are conmanly believed to be mates, hugely fueled by the affected cuddling between them after Macavity's attack.
* Possibly Grizabella and Macavity? No real reason in the text to think so, but it would be one possible explanation why the rest of the cats haven't forgiven her and are even a little afraid of her to this day. Demeter in particular has trouble facing her at first (and is comforted by Bombalurina after she tries), but seems to know a great deal about her, which would tie into the theories that Demeter has an abusive past with Macavity herself.
[[WMG: Religious imagery]]
Probably obvious, but Old Deuteronomy as Jesus/a saint, Macavity as Satan, and the Heavyside Layer as heaven. Alternativly, the Heavyside Layer could be reincarnation.
* The Heavyside Layer is definitely reincarnation. The cat chosen to go "...can now be reborn and come back to a different Jellicle life."
[[WMG: Demeter is Munkunstrap for the queen kittens]]
Demeter is clearly a pretty kick-ass queen (at one point trying to scratch Tugger for annoying her, when the other adult queens just ignore him). However, whatever happened between her and Macavity screwed her up pretty much permanently, which is why Bombalurina sings part of the Macavity song. So Demeter has an extreme grudge against Macavity, and, realizing that he could easily hurt a younger, dumber kitten (looking at you, [[InnocentFanserviceGirl Victoria]]), protects them the way Munkunstrap protects the tribe. This also explains her friendship\mating with Munkunstrap--because they have such similar jobs, they're good friends\logical mates.
[[WMG: Cassandra is the sister of Hector from ''WesternAnimation/HeathcliffAndTheCatillacCats'']]
Both are tall and slender with Siamese markings. Plus, their names hint that they may be brother and sister. (It's from ''Literature/TheIliad''! Read a book!)
* In which case, there may also be some connection between Mungojerrie and Mungo, although they're very different.
[[WMG: George is gay]]
* In the CATS Video, if you look closely at the background during the end of "Rum Tum Tugger", you can see he gets very excited.
** Could just be that [[EvenTheGuysWantHim even the toms want]] Tugger.
[[WMG: Plato is Macavity in disguise]]
* Through out the whole musical, he is there watching and waiting for the right moment to strike. When he tries and fails, he goes back to his "Plato" disguise.
[[WMG: Cats takes place in the same universe as Literature/WarriorCats]]
* Possibly, provided ''Literature/WarriorCats'' takes place in the same universe as ''TailchasersSong''.
[[WMG: Mistoffelees is genetically a queen]]
* [[MisterSeahorse Seven kittens]], remember?
** This works very well when you consider that his T.S. Eliot poem DOES pretty much demonstrate that "he" is a female cat. He tends to be small and not too masculine looking. With his magic, he could make himself look like a tom if he didn't want the others to know he was really a queen. Until the whole kittens thing, anyway, which makes it more a case of [[YourTomcatispregnant Your Tomcat is Pregnant]].
[[WMG: Victoria is deaf and mute]]
* Cats with pure white fur are often deaf. It explains why we never hear her sing. It even explains why she didn't clear out when Macavity was coming. She couldn't hear the warnings. However, like Heather Whitestone, she didn't let a little thing like being deaf keep her from learning how to dance.
[[WMG: Demeter has a DarkAndTroubledPast with Macavity.]]
It's pretty heavily implied, anyway. It's ''always'' Demeter who shouts, "Macavity!", she sings about him with Bomba and she's the one who sees through his disguise almost instantly. Munkustrap and Bombalurina seem pretty protective of Demeter- whenever lightning flashes and Macavity does his EvilLaugh, they quickly turn to her to make sure she's all right. Plus, Macavity makes a point of trying to drag Demeter off when he is unmasked.
[[WMG: Cats with magic powers have extended lifespans.]]
Mostly Macavity here, but since it's implied that he knew Growltiger and Griddlebone, as well as having a personal grudge against Old Deuteronomy, it's likely that Macavity, if not immortal, has a supernaturally long lifespan or somehow ages much more slowly than a normal cat. Gus doesn't do the same kind of dancing that Macavity is capable of, despite their implied age similiarities, nor does Old Deuteronomy. Macavity may have found a way to use magic to keep himself young enough to continue his life of crime. Mr. Mistoffelees might have a similar potential, since he's described as quiet and small and often hangs around with the kittens, yet isn't considered one- the other cats don't scramble to shield him in the same way they do for, say, Jemima or Victoria.
* A minor quibble, but the older cats DO shield Mistoffelees-- Munkustrap protects him from Grizebella when she first shows up.
** Or similarly, he ''breaks the laws of aging''.
[[WMG: [[TheChessmaster Macavity's story is bogus]]]]
He's just a big ol' brute who makes things up to make himself look good. (For full effect, say in creepy stage whisper.)
* How does he vanish and appear in different places at once, then? Magic exists in this universe. Next you'll be saying that [[AxCrazy Bellatrix]] [[Literature/HarryPotter Lestrange]] has mastered "deceitfulness and suavity" because she can Apparate. If Macavity were to, say, drop a brick on someone, nobody would ever mistake it for an accident because he'd be standing around cackling.
[[WMG: Not only is Macavity a cat version of Moriarty, but he is also Moriarty's cat.]]
And to make matters even awesomer, he belongs to Moriarty as played by Andrew Scott.