This page is for the entire anthology. For [=WMGs=] for individual seasons, try:
[[WMG: The seasons are not individual stories.]]
Or rather, they are, but some or all of them will connect into a larger story.
[[WMG: American Horror Story is a longform equivalent of "The Twilight Zone", set in Hell.]]
Whoever the tortured souls featured in the show originally were, they've each deserved the terrible punishment of living out their existences in a succession of twisted lives and realities - dying in one only causes you to be reborn in another, with your new life reminiscent of the last. Behold:
* In "Murder House", Jessica Lange's character [[spoiler:suffered the death of her child in a hit-and-run]]; in "Asylum", [[spoiler:she is tortured by the memory of killing a child in a hit-and-run.]]
* In "Murder House", Dylan McDermott's character [[spoiler:was a doctor]]; in "Asylum", he [[spoiler:regrets not having gone to medical school.]]
* In "Murder House", Zachary Quinto's character is [[spoiler:openly gay]]; in "Asylum", he is [[spoiler:a doctor who specialises in behaviour-modification treatment for homosexuality, among other things.]]
[[WMG: American Horror Story is one long Satanic ritual, and Season four will take place in Minnesota, probably in a mansion near Lake Superior.]]
* Season one, "Murder House", was set on the West Coast in California.
* Season two, "Asylum", was set on the East Coast in New England.
* Season three, "Coven" is set on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana in the Deep South.
* Season four, then, would complete the inverted cross pattern and be set in a Midwestern state that is north-centrally located within the contiguous US and has a coastline. Hence, Minnesota.
* At the end of season four, Satan himself will emerge in Missouri, where the lines connecting the four seasons intersect, leading to season five.
Any and all characters in AMHS are trapped in a horrible, circular hell. There is no escaping it.