->You are born...
Meet Born, a chunk of Void that acquired a mind of its own. He comes out on a seemingly empty world, and makes his way through it, learning something new at every turn. However, [[PhantomZone the Void]] would rather be whole, and is on Born's back at every turn, [[SpacetimeEater hounding and haunting his every step]]. As Born flees throughout the landscape, dodging monsters and solving puzzles, his only hope for survival is a series of strange, colored flowers that allow him to subtly manipulate the world around him. But the Void is watching and learning just as fast as Born is, and when the world is only so big he can't run forever...
'''Nihilumbra''' is a platformer developed by Beautifun Games, with the added element of colors, that allow the player to paint certain parts of the terrain with a particular color, giving it properties like stickiness, slipperiness, and heat. You will need all of those in order to survive, if only for just a little longer.
!! List of tropes appearing in Nihilumbra:
* AfterTheEnd: [[spoiler: Judging by the City being completely empty, it doesn't seem like this particular world has anyone left alive]].
* CrateExpectations: There's crates in places you really wouldn't expect one, like in the middle of icy wastelands or just by a lava floe. They make decent button-pushers.
* DarkIsNotEvil: Born isn't really evil, despite looking like a scarecrow made of pure dark.
* EstablishingCharacterMoment: [[spoiler:Assuming you're going through the levels in order, Void Mode introduces itself by plopping a deadly Crawlaggar right in front of your face. You have approximately four seconds to dig out your Brown color and latch onto the wall out of his reach before he eats you. And it only goes downhill from there.]]
* HumansAreTheRealMonsters: [[spoiler: Subverted in the City. The narration notes that whoever created the City destroyed whatever environment was there to build it...but then turns around and points out that even so, at least they created something; all Born has done, meanwhile, is allow the Void to consume the world.]]
* IAmTheNoun: A verb in this case. Born calls himself Born because that's the only thing he knows about himself with any level of certainty: that he was born.
* ItCanThink: The Void is not just some mindless force of nature, it's learning how to hunt you down better.
* LethalLavaLand: The Volcano, which is, well, just that. There's even a massive lava floe that bobs up and down, preventing access to certain places.
* LivingShadow: Born, as well as all the monsters.
* TheLostWoods: The Living Forest, where you learn the color green, and where you first start finding some of the really risky Voidborn enemies.
* ManaMeter: Determines how much more color you can put down, and it's shared by all five colors.
* MedalOfDishonor: There's an achievement for dying ten times in a row in any void mode level. [[NintendoHard You will probably earn this in level 1-1]].
* NiceJobBreakingItHero[=/=]WhatTheHellHero: Born to ''himself'', as he is slowly overcome by guilt after "condemning" every place he walks to a horrible destructive fate.
* NotSoInvincibleAfterAll: The Klimeths, after you combine [[spoiler:fire with a turret]].
* PlayingWithFire: Red burns anything that steps on it, including enemies, or you.
* RagnarokProofing: The turrets seem to apply at first, being so abandoned and yet still working. [[spoiler: It comes full force in the City, which can still work without a hitch with a little yellow paint despite being abandoned who knows how long]].
* RequiredSecondaryPowers: Averted. You are not immune to your own fire.
* ScaryScarecrows: While Born looks like one, he isn't really scary.
* SlippySlideyIceWorld: The Frozen Cliffs, which are great mountains with a constant windstorm. All the slippyness, however, is provided by you and your newly acquired blue color.
* StrawNihilist: Deconstructed. The title of the game should have given away that it would come up at some point.
** [[spoiler:TheAntiNihilist: Born, at the very end. It saves his life.]]
* TheGoomba: ''[[InvertedTrope You!]]''
* VacuumMouth: The Shyphonith enemies. Apparently they don't have a gut, just a portal straight to the Void.