[[caption-width-right:270:...And then you realize that you're [[SerialEscalation only playing on Normal. That's not even a miniboss]].]]
->'''The Intro:''' "OMG HOW DID ALL THESE BULLETS GET HERE THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE"
''XOP'' is a series of BulletHell shooters by Christopher "Udderdude" Emirzian. The games, unlike most [[ShootEmUp ShootEmUps]] are relatively plotless, with the plot basically being, "There's stuff to shoot. Now go shoot it. Also, [[BulletHell bullets. Lots of them.]]" Each game has an arcade mode with various courses, score attack for each level, boss rushes and the option of recording demos of gameplay.
[[UpdatedRerelease Updated Rereleases]] of the first game and its sequel, ''XOP Ultra'' and ''XOP Black Ultra'' were released summer 2011, along with a challenge mix called ''XOP Black Ultra Special'', a gauntlet featuring shortened versions of all 10 of the sequel's stages. The three games were formerly freeware but are now only available in a bundle for a small fee on [[http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xop/ the publisher's website]]. As of January 2014, the games are now freeware again.
!!These games have examples of:
* [[AllJustADream All Just a Simulation]]
* AttackDrone: The default subweapon in the first game.
* BreatherLevel: Level 6 in the original and EX stage 4 in Black are notably easier than levels before and after them.
* BuffySpeak: The intro features a ship schematic including vital parts "LAZORS PEW PEW" and "FLAP THINGS".
* BossRush: Each game has one. Extra Stage 2 in the original is a rare example of a Miniboss Rush.
** The minibosses in EX stage 2 have also been upgraded, so you'd better expect some new tricks.
* BulletHell: Of course.
* ButterflyOfDeathAndRebirth: Butterfly and butterfly-themed enemies appear all over the place, in both games, especially stage 4 in the original and stage EX 5 in Black.
* CognizantLimbs: Many bosses and sub-bosses have additional turrets or limbs that fire extra barrages. Destroying them reduces the bullet sources and gives DAL coins.
* ContinuingIsPainful: Losing a life or using your bullet-cancelling reflect bomb also quarters and halves your score bonus respectively.
** Using continues is [[OhCrap no longer possible]] as of the ''Ultra'' editions.
* CollisionDamage: Thankfully averted with enemies, making higher-scoring close range shots less dangerous, but getting too close to the things spitting bullets at you is often still not the best idea.
* DarkerAndEdgier: Black, when compared to the original.
* DoomyDoomsOfDoom: Doom mode from ''XOP Black''.
* DualBoss: The boss of extra stage 1 in the first game.
* EasierThanEasy: Beginner mode.
* ExcusePlot: Added in an intro scene in ''XOP Ultra''. XOP is bad so destroy it!
* GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere: Due to the lack of a storyline, most, if not all of the bosses fall into this, but especially the phoenix at the end of the original.
** Especially applies in level 2 in ''Black'', "Sky", where screens full of bug enemies give way to a huge white mecha.
* HarderThanHard: Expert difficulty and Master difficulty.
* HitboxDissonance: Your hitbox is a 2x2 pixel square in your center.
* LudicrousGibs: Whenever any organic enemies die.
* MadeOfExplodium: ''Everything''.
** Expecially if you select maximum explosiveness in the options.
* NintendoHard: Very much so, especially on the harder difficulties.
** Some larger enemies or mid-bosses will erase all bullets on screen when dying, (turning them into DAL coins, which give you points and increase your multiplier) even those not their own.
** This is the basis for ''XOP Black''[='=]s Cancel mode. Enemies with enough of their projectiles on the screen will take their bullets with them when destroyed...but if they don't have enough of their bullets around, they burst into revenge bullets instead!
* OhCrap: You may have one when you read that the author [[WordOfGod said the fact that unlike the first it was not for profit meant he could make the sequel]] [[HarderThanHard as hard as he wanted.]]
* SequelDifficultySpike, as stated above.
** The ''Ultra'' rereleases both add new enemies and remove the ability to use continues, although that doesn't matter as there is a stage select mode anyway.
*** As example, the bullet wall spitting ''thing'' in the page image used to [[WeaksauceWeakness erase all its shots]] [[NoOntologicalInertia on dying.]] Not any more.
** And the "Special" version of XOP Black features a gauntlet of shortened forms of all 10 levels without continues. On hardest difficulty. Without continues. Good luck.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: Sub-bosses and bosses will self-destruct or disappear if you take too long fighting them.
* TrueFinalBoss: Black has two for completing normal and EX without continuing, and a third as part of the True Final BossRush.
* UpdatedRerelease: The ''Ultra'' versions, which apply the sequel's gameplay refinements and various other tweaks to both games, as well as adding new content and features.