''Vigilance'', a third-person shooter developed by Postlinear Entertainment, was released in 1998. It came under fire after its release for its lack of mid-level saving ability, awkward control scheme, and massive swap file. The project took over 2 years and $2 million to create. Aside from the basic single player mode, it also supported LAN play and play over Heat.net. The game was considered [=SegaSoft=]ís first venture into 3D shooters. The game combined both first and third person perspective.
The single player campaign followed eight agents working for the counter-terrorist organization SION. SION stands for Special Intelligence Operations Network. The game allowed the ability to play as one of eight SION agents each with varied strengths and weaknesses. The abilities were based on speed, stealth, armor, assassin, sniper, demolitions, etc.
!!This VideoGame contains examples of:
* ActionGirl: Dutchess, Fury and Kestrel.
* BigBad: Thorsen. And later John Stier himself, the SION leader.
* BookEnds: The game starts and ends in a oil rig.
* DarkActionGirl: Angel and Kat.
* DarkAndTroubledPast: All eight agents have this kind of past.
* HollywoodSilencer: The silenced variant of the G20. If played as a character who is a assassin (eg. Bishop) the damage per shot is increased.
* HeelFaceTurn: Stier at the end of the game, betrays the good guys and works for The Order.
* MoreDakka: The Viper SMG, the Caseless Rifle and the Metalstorm can be those.
* PreAssKickingOneLiner: The agents do this when a level begins.
* ScaryBlackMan: Damen Rush can be this.
* TitleDrop: "...they are the best, and they're always watching. Because their price of freedom is Vigilance."
* WesternTerrorists: These terrorists don't seem to be based off of any group in particular.