''True Crime: New York City'' is the sequel to ''VideoGame/TrueCrimeStreetsOfLA''.
Marcus Reed is a member of his father's gang. Several years later, he appears to be betrayed by a friend and declared dead. However, he returns as a bloody mess to kill Kev Lar, the man responsible for setting him up. After killing him, Terry Higgins, a cop, saves his life from a gang member and agrees to arrest him. He doesn't like Marcus killing and threatens him to do as he says or he's on his own forever.
5 years later, Marcus is working for the NYPD, and works under Lt. Dixon. Victor Navarro, the chief, is not liking this. After passing his test, Marcus is driven to see his father, Isaiah, to show he's not a criminal anymore. Terry stops in a place for a deal, but seeming dies in an explosion. Since then, Marcus plans on tracking down the four crime leaders to avenge his death.
* BigBad: [[spoiler: Terry Higgins]]
* BigDamnHeroes: Terry has one in the beginning the moment he saves Marcus' ass from Kev Lar's thug.
* BoomHeadshot: Used frequently throughout the gameplay.
* BulletTime: When going into precision aiming.
* CarSkiing: One of several possible vehicular stunts.
* CowboyCop: Marcus
* DaChief: Victor Navarro
* DarkerAndEdgier: While the first game can be best viewed as an AffectionateParody of many 80's cop films, this game takes itself a lot more seriously.
* InstantSedation: Getting a headshot with a tranquilizer gun will put an enemy down instantly.
* IronicEcho: "Motherfuckers with no loyalty don't deserve to live."
* KatanasAreJustBetter: Lionel Jones wields one of these, [[AbsurdlySharpBlade which can chop an AK-47 barrel off!]]
* KneeCapping: You can do this to non-lethally take down enemies.
* LuxuryPrisonSuite: Isaiah resides in one of these. With a bookshelf, weights, and a bar counter with an assortment of drinks.
* TheMole: [[spoiler:Terry]]
* MultipleEndings: Good and Bad Cop endings.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Marcus looks at his badge in shame in the "Bad Cop" ending.
* OccidentalOtaku: Lionel "Benjamin" Jones, an AngryBlackMan who has his own Zen garden, and fights Marcus with Samurai armor and a katana.
* PoliceBrutality: You can invoke this while interrogating someone, though it will net you Bad Cop points.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Marcus was pissed when he learned that [[spoiler: Terry]] was the mole. And when [[spoiler: Terry]] tried to pay Marcus off, he switched to blackmail after Marcus refused. Marcus had this to say in the good ending.
-->'''Marcus''': Yo, what the fuck makes you think I give a shit?! I'll do my time standing up, just like my Pops!
** In the bad ending, Marcus simply shoots [[spoiler: Terry]].
* SewerGator: There is an alligator at either end of the Sewer Tunnel fight arena.
* ShoutOut: In one mission Marcus remarks "next thing you know i'll be flying remote-controlled toys and shit", a reference to RC missions in the GTA franchise.
* StarterVillain: [[TheStarscream Kev Lar]], who tried to have Marcus and his father killed. His plan failed obviously as both Marcus and his dad is still alive.
* ThouShaltNotKill: Subduing an enemy in a non-lethal manner gets you more Good Cop points.
* UnwittingPawn: Marcus himself. Lampshaded by Kev Lar earlier, saying "Just like your old man, you're always gonna be played, nigga."
* UpbringingMakesTheHero: Averted in the good ending; where Marcus's gangster/WarriorPoet father pontificates where such integrity came from.
* InNameOnly: This game has absolutely nothing to do with TrueCrimeStreetsofLA.
* .VitriolicBestBuds: Terry and Marcus' father.
* WhatTheHellPlayer: During the Training level, the PA will chastise you if you preform a lethal takedown. However it's implied the victim is not dead.