''True Crime: New York City'' is the sequel to ''TrueCrimeStreetsOfLA''.
Marcus Reed is a member of his father's gang. Several years later, he appears to be betrayed by a friend and declared dead. However, he returns as a bloody mess to kill Kev Lar, the man responsible for setting him up. After killing him, Terry Higgins, a cop, saves his life from a gang member and agrees to arrest him. He doesn't like Marcus killing and threatens him to do as he says or he's on his own forever.
5 years later, Marcus is working for the NYPD, and works under Lt. Dixon. Victor Navarro, the chief, is not liking this. After passing his test, Marcus is driven to see his father, Isaiah, to show he's not a criminal anymore. Terry stops in a place for a deal, but seeming dies in an explosion. Since then, Marcus plans on tracking down the four crime leaders to avenge his death.
* BigBad: [[spoiler: Terry Higgins]]
* BigDamnHeroes: Terry has one in the beginning the moment he saves Marcus' ass from Kev Lar's thug.
* BulletTime: When going into precision aiming.
* CarSkiing: One of several possible vehicular stunts.
* ClusterFBomb: [[http://www.gamespot.com/true-crime-2/reviews/true-crime-new-york-city-review-6140410/?page=2 "The dialogue in the game is composed almost entirely of the "F" word and variations thereof. The profanity is used to the extent that it sounds foolish rather than edgy or tough. "]]
* CowboyCop: Marcus
* DaChief: Victor Navarro
* InstantSedation: Getting a headshot with a tranquilizer gun will put an enemy down instantly.
* IronicEcho: "Motherfuckers with no loyalty don't deserve to live."
* KneeCapping: You can do this to non-lethally take down enemies.
* TheMole: [[spoiler:Terry]]
* MultipleEndings: Good and Bad Cop endings.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Marcus looks at his badge in shame in the "Bad Cop" ending.
* ThouShaltNotKill: Subduing an enemy in a non-lethal manner gets you more Good Cop points.
* UnwittingPawn: Marcus himself. Lampshaded by Kev Lar earlier, saying "Just like your old man, you're always gonna be played, nigga."
* UpbringingMakesTheHero: Averted in the good ending; where Marcus's gangster/WarriorPoet father pontificates where such integrity came from.
* VitriolicBestBuds: Terry and Marcus' father.