''True Crime: New York City'' is the sequel to ''VideoGame/TrueCrimeStreetsOfLA''.
Marcus Reed is a member of his father's gang. Several years later, he appears to be betrayed by a friend and declared dead. However, he returns as a bloody mess to kill Kev Lar, the man responsible for setting him up. After killing him, Terry Higgins, a cop, saves his life from a gang member and agrees to arrest him. He doesn't like Marcus killing and threatens him to do as he says or he's on his own forever.
5 years later, Marcus is working for the NYPD, and works under Lt. Dixon. Victor Navarro, the chief, is not liking this. After passing his test, Marcus is driven to see his father, Isaiah, to show he's not a criminal anymore. Terry stops in a place for a deal, but seeming dies in an explosion. Since then, Marcus plans on tracking down the four crime leaders to avenge his death.
* BigBad: [[spoiler: Terry Higgins]]
* BigDamnHeroes: Terry has one in the beginning the moment he saves Marcus' ass from Kev Lar's thug.
* BoomHeadshot: Used frequently throughout the gameplay.
* BulletTime: When going into precision aiming.
* CarSkiing: One of several possible vehicular stunts.
* CowboyCop: Marcus
* DaChief: Victor Navarro
* DarkerAndEdgier: While the first game can be best viewed as an AffectionateParody of many 80's cop films, this game takes itself a lot more seriously.
* InstantSedation: Getting a headshot with a tranquilizer gun will put an enemy down instantly.
* IronicEcho: "Motherfuckers with no loyalty don't deserve to live."
* KatanasAreJustBetter: Lionel Jones wields one of these, [[AbsurdlySharpBlade which can chop an AK-47 barrel off!]]
* KneeCapping: You can do this to non-lethally take down enemies.
* LuxuryPrisonSuite: Isaiah resides in one of these. With a bookshelf, weights, and a bar counter with an assortment of drinks.
* TheMole: [[spoiler:Terry]]
* MultipleEndings: Good and Bad Cop endings.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Marcus looks at his badge in shame in the "Bad Cop" ending.
* NewYorkIsOnlyManhattan: The game takes place in New York City (as you can tell from the title). Once again, the city seems to be relegated to Manhattan. Debug mode reveals other areas of New York. They have named streets, vehicles and pedestrians, but no buildings. It's possible they were DummiedOut due to NYC being too large.
* NoGoodDeedGoesUnpunished: [[spoiler: [[TheBadGuyWins Terry actually won]], Marcus wiped out the four crime families leaving Terry free to ride off into the sunset with a fortune in mob money. However, Terry makes the decision to reveal his deception and try and cut Marcus in on the action out of loyalty to Marcus. This ends up getting him killed by Marcus in both endings (either Marcus straight up executes him in rage in the bad ending, or he dies during a chase when Marcus tries to arrest him in the good ending).]]
* OccidentalOtaku: Lionel "Benjamin" Jones of the President's Club, a ScaryBlackMan who has his own Zen garden, and fights Marcus with Samurai armor and a katana. Having adopted Japanese culture since his group was dealing with the Yakuza.
* PoliceBrutality: You can invoke this while interrogating someone, though it will net you Bad Cop points.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Marcus was pissed when he learned that [[spoiler: Terry]] was the mole. And when [[spoiler: Terry]] tried to pay Marcus off, he switched to blackmail after Marcus refused. Marcus had this to say in the good ending.
-->'''Marcus''': Yo, what the fuck makes you think I give a shit?! I'll do my time standing up, just like my Pops!
** In the bad ending, Marcus simply shoots [[spoiler: Terry]].
* SewerGator: There is an alligator at either end of the Sewer Tunnel fight arena.
* ShoutOut: In one mission Marcus remarks "next thing you know i'll be flying remote-controlled toys and shit", a reference to RC missions in the GTA franchise.
* StarterVillain: [[TheStarscream Kev Lar]], who tried to have Marcus and his father killed. His plan failed obviously as both Marcus and his dad is still alive.
* ThouShaltNotKill: Subduing an enemy in a non-lethal manner gets you more Good Cop points.
* UnexpectedGameplayChange: The final boss fight (in the bad ending) is a 2D side-scrolling punch-out in which you need to punch your opponent off the other side of the stage, a significant shift from the game's 2 earlier melee boss fights which utilized the game's standard combat engine. The good ending has no boss fight.
* UnwittingPawn: Marcus himself. [[spoiler: Turns out Terry faked his death knowing Marcus would wipe out the city's four major crime families in retribution, leaving Terry free to steal all their money and ride off into the sunset.]] Lampshaded by Kev Lar earlier, saying "Just like your old man, you're always gonna be played, nigga."
* UpbringingMakesTheHero: Averted in the good ending; where Marcus's gangster/WarriorPoet father pontificates where such integrity came from.
* InNameOnly: This game has absolutely nothing to do with TrueCrimeStreetsofLA other than the genre and gameplay style.
* VitriolicBestBuds: Terry and Marcus' father.
* WhatTheHellPlayer: During the Training level, the PA will chastise you if you preform a lethal takedown. However it's implied the victim is not dead.