''The Twisted Tales of Spike [=McFang=]'' is an obscure ActionAdventure[=/=]ActionRPG game for the SuperNintendoEntertainmentSystem and produced by Naxat Soft. It's a sequel to the equally obscure Japanese-only TurboGrafx16 game ''Makai Prince Dobrabochan''.
You play as VegetarianVampire Spike [=McFang=] of Vladamasco, who battles the evil General Von Hessler, a zombie who attempts to invade Spike's parents' and his friend Camelia's kingdoms. Camelia herself is playable, as is Rudy, Von Hessler's repentant son.
Gameplay is an overhead view similar to 2D ''Franchise/TheLegendOfZelda'' games. However, instead of a sword, Spike uses his trusty magical hat to attack foes; the hat works like a boomerang.
Playing cards are also used to attack, and higher levels means more damage. Spike can restore his health by drinking tomato juice and using tomato cards, but must beware of garlic cloves and other monsters that lurk about.
!!This game contains examples of:
* ActionGirl: Camelia.
* AdorableEvilMinions: The garlic cloves.
* AllThereInTheManual: Averted - the ability to play two player is never mentioned in the manual or in-game.
** For the curious, after [[spoiler: Beating Felicia in Dracuman Castle, and Rudy rescues you]], at the title screen you can enter "Down, B, Left, B, Up, Y, Right, Y". If done correctly, you should hear a chime and then your partner will be controlled by player 2. Exceptionally handy since they cannot be hurt.
* AmazonBrigade: Felina's Feline Fighters.
* TheAtoner: Rudy, son of Von Hessler, is certain something has changed with his father and intends to bring him back to his senses.
* BigBad: Von Hessler.
* BadassCape: Spike's main attack is his cape, which he spins around to whack enemies. If he spins too much at once, he starts to spin out of control and creates a massively damaging vortex - although it leaves him dizzy and vulnerable for a few seconds.
* CatGirl: Felina.
* ChargedAttack: Spike's hat throw is done this way.
* CoolPet: Cid, Spike's friendly pet lake monster.
* DarkActionGirl: Felina and Hydra.
* DemonicPossession: [[spoiler: Von Hessler is possessed by the demon Owasa]].
* DifficultyByRegion: The US version makes enemies so strong that you have to do a ''lot'' of level grinding to be able to substantially damage bosses.
* TheDragon: Hydra; she's also Felina's mother.
* EverythingTryingToKillYou: Waddling garlic cloves, an old mystic's cane, demons, and cat warriors are all out to get you.
* FightLikeACardPlayer: Cards are used to attack.
* ForcedTutorial: Spike's training under Clarence on Fighter Island.
* TheGoomba: Basic garlic cloves.
* HopelessBossFight: The first battle against The Freezer.
* LadyOfWar: Hydra.
* TheManBehindTheMan: [[spoiler: Owasa, a demon, is possessing Von Hessler]].
* ObviouslyEvil: Von Hessler.
* PALBonus: In the US version, you're allowed to set your currently equipped card to a blank space, so you don't use any by accident.
* PrecisionGuidedBoomerang: Spike's magic hats. The strongest version will actively track down and attack enemies before returning.
* SomeCallMeTim: Spike's trainer, Ching Cao Qiang, Clarence for short.
* SpinAttack: Spike's main means of offense is spinning his cape around.When done repeatedly, it becomes a stronger version that lasts a while and does good damage, but leaves him dizzy for a few dangerous seconds.
* StupidityIsTheOnlyOption: After you defeat Felina in battle, she tries to ensnare you in a [[SchmuckBait painfully obvious]] trap. The game can't continue until you fall for it.
* TurnsRed: Every boss, when near defeat, refills their life bar and gains new attack patterns.
* VegetarianVampire: Spike eats tomatoes rather than drinking blood.
* WaddlingHead: Garlic cloves.
* WeaksauceWeakness: The Freezer is completely invincible, unless exposed to his one weakness, chicken noodle soup.
* WeaponizedHeadgear: Spike's hat behaves like a boomerang.
* WhenTreesAttack: Root, the protector of the Kalala water.
* WorthyOpponent: The Freezer may be one of the top officers of an evil army, but he refuses to finish a fight with Spike when he has an unfair advantage.