''Sonic The Hedgehog Classic'' is a ''Franchise/SonicTheHedgehog'' fangame made by Hez in Multimedia Fusion 2, through use of a full-custom engine with some elements from the popular ''Sonic Worlds'' community engine. Not counting the fan-remake ''Sonic Rebirth'', it was in fact the first complete, large-scale, original Sonic fan project made in quite a while.
The plot is your standard [[ExcusePlot "Sonic and friends fight Dr. Eggman"]] deal. The game features a set of 7 original zones, Time Attack and Mission modes, plus some extras. [[http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19103&view=findpost&p=862812 Get it on Sonic Retro.]]
A sequel is in the works.
!Tropes featured include:
* AlliterativeName: The zones, with the exception of Death Egg.
* AuthorAvatar: An orange hedgehog represents Hez.
* BaitAndSwitchBoss: Eggman's Giant Mech has a cameo on Death Egg Zone, [[spoiler:in which it explodes, sending Sonic to fight against Giant Silver Sonic.]]
* BonusLevel: Features special stages for Emerald collecting and bonus levels for extra lives.
* BossRush: An unlockable.
* CrosshairAware: The final boss uses this in one of its attacks.
* DebugMode: One that works just like the ones from the Genesis Sonic games.
** The ''Sonic 1'' level set was cut from the game to be later used as an expansion pack, but is now being saved for the sequel.
** Mercury Mines appears on the level select but is unplayable.
** Metal Sonic seems to have been intended as a playable character, but you can only make him appear on-screen as a broken mess with his and every other playable character sprite showing up at the same time.
** Fang, Shadow and Hez are only playable by meddling with the save file.
* EternalEngine: Robot Rave.
* FlippingTheBird: Hez's VictoryPose. If fits nicely because he's normally a rival in Time Attack mode.
* GiantMook: The "Giant Badnik Hunt" challenges, where you have to find and defeat a giant version of a regular enemy in a level.
* GreenHillZone: Hazel Hills.
* HailfirePeaks: Crystal Caverns is a combination of LethalLavaLand and SlippySlideyIceWorld.
* HumongousMecha: [[spoiler:Giant Silver Sonic, the FinalBoss.]]
* MeaningfulBackgroundEvent: An endless line of [[spoiler:Giant Silver Sonics]] is seen on the background for Robot Rave. For better or for worse you only fight one at the adventure's end.
* NotTheFallThatKillsYou: [[spoiler:The ending is exactly like the one from ''VideoGame/SonicAdvance2''.]]
* NostalgiaLevel: Death Egg is the final level, based on the one from ''Sonic 2''. Gigalopolis, Aqua Arena and the Special Stages are based on levels from ''Sonic Chaos''. Bridge Zone from ''Sonic 1 8-bits'' is unlockable.
* PuzzleBoss: Dr. Eggman's machine in Desert Dunes is immune to rolling attacks, so you make it suck its own spiked bombs instead.
* RiseToTheChallenge: Robot Rave Act 3, accompanied by a remix of [[VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehogTripleTrouble Sunset Park Act 3]].
* SecretCharacter: Ashura and Blue Knuckles. By editing the save file you can also play as Fang, Shadow and Hez.
* SecretLevel: Bridge Zone from the 8-bit version of ''SonicTheHedgehog''.
* ShiftingSandLand: Desert Dunes.
* SpaceZone: Death Egg.
* SuperMode: After collecting all Chaos Emeralds. Hyper mode is also available as an extra.
* UnderTheSea: Aqua Arena and Luster Lake.
* UnderwaterBossBattle: At Luster Lake, essentially an underwater version of the [[VideoGame/SonicTheHedgehog1 Green Hill Zone]] boss.
* TheUnfought: Fang The Sniper appears three times during the game to set traps on Sonic, but never fights him.