A video game where you are a mother badger trying to keep her cubs from harm. Not only must you protect your young from the many perils of the wilderness, you must also ensure none of you risk dying of starvation.
In the sequel, you play as a mother lynx caring for her own cubs. The world is a lot more vast, and focuses more on hunting mechanics to care for and feed your family.
!!''Shelter'' provides examples of:
* BigBad: Subverted by the eagle, who continually tries to eat the mother and her pups. [[spoiler:In the end, when the mother badger gets eaten, we see the eagle was only trying to get food for his or her own hungry babies, not too different from the badger killing foxes to feed her pups. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and babies gotta eat.]]
* BittersweetEnding: The end of the game sees [[spoiler:Mama Badger killed and carried away by the eagle, leaving her pups alone and whimpering piteously for a mother who will never return.]] However, [[spoiler:they also arrive safely in their new home, having grown up enough to look after themselves. The last shot of the game shows the eagle returning to its nest with the mother badger in tow, preparing to feed its own hungry offspring.]]
* CutAndPasteEnvironments: The whole game has this for each specific level, making it almost look as though you are walking on a patchwork quilt.
* EscortMission: All of the game. At least the badger pups always stay close. (Except during the night mission, when they might get scared by noises.)
* MamaBear: A variant. The game never involves fighting, nevertheless Mama Badger will do everything to protect, feed and guide her pups. [[spoiler: And in the end, die for them.]]
* NotSoDifferent: You spend the game killing foxes to feed to your babies. [[spoiler:In the end, the eagle kills you to feed ''their'' babies.]]
* RidiculouslyCuteCritter: The badger pups. Just try and say they're not adorable in the highest degree.
* VideoGameCaringPotential: ''[[TheMovie The Videogame]]''
* VideoGameLives: in a touch of FridgeBrilliance, you start the game with ''five lives''...
* WizardNeedsFoodBadly: The badger pups lose color and halt if not fed.
!! The sequel provides examples of:
* CuteKitten: You are in charge of four of them.
* SavageWolves: The mother Lynx runs away from a pack at the start of the game, and said pack also appear as enemies later on.
* VideoGameCaringPotential: Just like in the first game, this is the core gameplay.
* VideoGameLives: In this game, you start it off with ''four lives''.