---> '''Craaaazzzy''', Racing Lagoon's quote
Racing Lagoon is a night racing game mixed with RPG elements ("High Speed Driving RPG") created by Squaresoft in 1999. It's an [[SugarWiki/NeedsMoreLove underrated game]] in Japan that [[NoExportForYou never got an international release]], and it's one of many awesome games Squaresoft created, with a rather dark story, interesting characters, an exciting racing system and [[DesignItYourselfEquipment fully-customizable cars.]] The game uses a drifting technique as the main cornering technique, and the player has to master drifting to beat the game.
The game fictionally takes place in the year 1999 in Yokohama, 10 years after the event called "Fastest Legend". One night, Team Bay Lagoon Racing (BLR), led by TheAce, Ikki Fujisawa holds a team battle with Night Racers Honmuku (NR). One of BLR's newly joined members, Sho Akasaki, begins his story of his racing career. Akasaki is determined to find out about the mystery of the legend 10 years ago, as well as his forgotten past.
The BLR team has [[FiveManBand five members]]:
* TheHero: Sho Akasaki
* TheLancer: Ikki Fujisawa
* TheBigGuy: Kyoji Nanba (He's not really big. He's just respected by other people.)
* ButtMonkey: Yamada Kenzo
* TheChick: Yuka Suzuki
* AnyoneCanDie: Justified in storylines.
* ArtifactOfDoom: [[spoiler: Diablo-Tune]] itself isn't evil, but [[DifficultButAwesome it's very overpowered and very dangerous to use.]]
* AwesomeButImpractical: Some engines has very high speed output, but they have no part socket at all and can't be leveled up.
** Bus and truck fits into this too due to huge body size.
* BigBad: [[spoiler: [[FiveBadBand Wontec Corp]].]]
* BigDamnHeroes: [[spoiler:The final chapter has the protagonist locked up in the Bay Lagoon Tower that's going to explode. Tsujimoto and Yuuka come to save the day.]]
* BlandNameProduct: To some extent. All the cars are renamed to prevent licensing costs, such as:
** Sprinter Trueno = 86-Thunder (''Trueno'' is Spanish for Thunder)
** Corolla Levin = 86-Lev
** Celica = Celine
** Porsche 911 = [[spoiler: [[NationsAsPeople Germany]]]]
* BonusBoss: [[spoiler: "The Fastest Man 10 Years Ago"]]
* CarFu: Bumping into opponents makes you bounce off them, likewise when someone hits you from behind. Getting in front of someone and shoving them back is a good tactic.
* CatchPhrase: Ishikawa Nii's "Showtime", so frequently it becomes a plot-relevant term.
** Akasaki likes to mutter "That's right..." during his monologue.
* CoolCar: You can access to more than 40 bodies of the obviously licensed cars, modify their body with different body modifier parts, and the car's look also changes when you put a body into different drivetrain chassises. For example, the Aero-Old chassis is a minimal tune-up, the Aero-GT makes the car look like a GT race car, the Aero-C makes the car look like a FREAKING Le Mans Prototype, and the [[ArtifactOfDoom Aero-Diablo]]? Let's '''NOT''' get started on the Aero-Diablo.
** You can even get truck and bus bodies and mod them, but they're so HUGE and obscuring you almost have to switch to first person view to use them.
** Ikki Fujisawa's [=DR30=] Skyline falls under this. The body kit mirrors that of the Skyline that competed in Super GT in Japan, and it makes it look pretty badass.
* CrapsaccharineWorld: Street racers can consider Yokohama a heaven and the racing itself is even sponsored by the official, but there are also deaths and dark secret behind the adventure.
* CutsceneIncompetence: The final race with [[spoiler:Ikki]], as the game keep telling you that, happens to have [[spoiler:his girlfriend]] as the rival driver. [[spoiler:Fujisawa]] just sits beside her because he can't drive.
* DarkerAndEdgier: To ''Chocobo Racing''.
* DespairEventHorizon: Kyoji Nanaba. [[spoiler: And it's ''your'' fault. You have to beat him to become a candidate of the Yokohama GP to advance the story, ruining his dream and ambition in the process.]]
* DiscOneNuke: Putting a lot of turbos with a Lo comp makes your car go insanely fast even during the middle part of the story. Backyard SP's chassis also makes starting a lot faster even though it has a low level cap. Although in the end where everything's insanely fast, it's driving skill that determines the outcome of the races.
* DistressedDamsel: Yuka in the first chapter.
* DesignItYourselfEquipment: You can choose the car chassis, the engine and the drivetrain, and even slap in upgrades, in a pure RPG fashion.
* DrunkOnTheDarkSide: [[spoiler:Kyoji ends up looking half zombie and speaking brokenly under the influence of the diablo drug.]]
* DroppedABridgeOnHim: [[spoiler: Kyoji Nanaba,]] who just dies, and it's you who have to know it.
* [[PointOfView First Person Narration]]
* FiveBadBand: [[spoiler:Wontec Corp]]
** [[spoiler:BigBad: Lee Won]]
** [[spoiler:TheDragon: Heidel Schneider]]
** [[spoiler:TheEvilGenius: John Truth]]
** [[spoiler:TheBrute: Forza Rush]]
** [[spoiler:SixthRanger: Satoru Kawashima]]
** [[spoiler:TheDarkChick: Aoi Kawashima]]
* FriendlyRival: Tsujimoto and Sawaki for the main character. Meanwhile, Koguchi from Team Drift Dancers is Fujisawa's old friend.
* GenkiGirl: Yuka Suzuki and Yoko Mihara
* GoMadFromTheRevelation: Several of Won-Tec's Driver candidates.
* GratuitousEnglish: Freddie Roberts.
* KickTheDog: Poor Yamada gets the serious treatment. It's quite unsure he's dead or not by the end.
* MindScrew: A lot after 5th night.
* MoodWhiplash: [[spoiler: Right after you win Yokohama GP Qualify, Nanba and Sawaki dies. After you win the Yokohama GP Final, you suddenly goes mad and then [[NiceJobBreakingItHero you races Fujisawa, leading to his crash.]]]]
* MultiTrackDrifting: Bus and truck.
* PaperThinDisguise: The Prince of Test Course [[spoiler: is obviously Yamada with a flu mask. Even though he customizes his car, he stills left his KY parts as dead giveaways.]]
* PeopleJars: D-Sleep system, which is used on [[spoiler: YOU]]
* PimpedOutCar: [[spoiler:Monster-R, a modified Nissan R33 Skyline GT-R.]]
* PlotlineDeath: [[spoiler: Kyoji dies during the Yokohama GP because he crashed his RX 7, which he Diablo tuned.]]
** [[spoiler: Sawaki crashes into a corner during Chapter 2's TAIMAN and dies after Yokohama GP's qualify round, around the same time Nanba dies.]]
* PreexistingEncounters: Engage into battles by flashing headlights on each other.
* RedBaron: Fujisawa is "The Fastest Man of Yokohama".
* SingleMindedTwins: The Ishikawa brothers start, but subvert this later on.
* TheAce: Team leaders are this. Fujisawa is noteable as he is your team's leader.
* TheStoic: Tsujimoto is called this, even though Akasaki is more of a stoic himself.
* TournamentArc: Yokohama GP
* ThoseTwoGuys: Akira Tsujimoto and Makoto Sawaki
* WomenDrivers: Subverted with Motomochi's girl only team, but straight with Yuka
* WideOpenSandbox: When you're not racing, you're free to roam in top view. [[OlderThanTheyThink One of the first racing games to have this.]]
* XMeetsY: ''Franchise/FinalFantasy'' meets ''RidgeRacer'' meets ''GrandTheftAutoClassic''...[-[[RecycledINSPACE IN]] [[JapanTakesOverTheWorld JAPAN!]]-]