''Nazo no Murasamejō'' (loosely translated: ''The Mysterious Murasame Castle'') is a medieval Japanese fantasy video game created by Nintendo and released in 1986 as the second original title for the FamicomDiskSystem, after ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZelda'', to which it has some resemblance. The game has been occasionally rereleased, but never outside Japan.
The game takes place during the Edo period, where Murasame and four neighboring castles have been possessed by a demonic force. It falls to a young swordsman named Takamaru to defeat Murasame.
* ColourfulThemeNaming: The four castles besides Murasame, Aosame, Akasame, Ryokusame and Momosame, are named after Japanese colors.
* ContinuingIsPainful: Most powerups are lost upon death.
* FlipScreenScrolling: Throughout the game.
* ImpossiblyCoolWeapon: Getting enough shurikan upgrades results in shurikan with explosive lightning. [[WebAnimation/ZeroPunctuation Yahtzee would have loved.]]
* MarthDebutedInSmashBros: A minigame based on this appears in ''VideoGame/NintendoLand'', even though it's never been released outside of Japan. The castle similarily appeared in VideoGame/SamuraiWarriors 3.
* NintendoHard: As with all games of [[The8BitEra the era]].
* TheVeryDefinitelyFinalDungeon: The titular Murasame Castle, where the floor is black and the walls are NothingButSkulls.