''Mario Paint'' (1992) was a painting game for the SuperNintendoEntertainmentSystem, featuring Mario. It was the first game to use the SNES Mouse peripheral, and came bundled with it.
The game had various activities: making images using brushes, stamps, and patterns; creating animations; creating music (which could be used in the animations); loading pre-defined images to color or edit in any other manner; and creating custom stamps. ''Mario Paint'' also had a well-known minigame called "Coffee Break" (also referred to as "Gnat Attack" in the manual), in which you had to swat flies to progress through the level, going on forever until you lost all of your lives from getting hit by the flies. This minigame would later be featured in ''[[VideoGame/WarioWare Wario Ware, Inc.: Mega Microgame$]]''.
It is worth noting that the first animated WebAnimation/HomestarRunner cartoon was animated using Mario Paint.
It later got a SpiritualSuccessor, ''VideoGame/MarioMaker''.
Any videos of the music-making subgame can go [[Music/MarioPaint here]].
!!'''Tropes present in the program as a whole:'''
** Some screens have a cartoon bomb on the exit button. The bomb button lives in the lower-left corner.
** The "O" on the title screen becomes a bomb when you click it.
* EasterEgg: On the title screen, clicking certain letters would cause certain things to happen, such as clicking the letter "P" to make grass, trees, and a bunch of other objects appear; or clicking the letter "O" to hear Kazumi Totaka's secret song. [[spoiler:The Starmen that also fly across the screen occasionally also contain one, if you're fast enough to click one.]]
* FanRemake: ''Mario Paint Composer'', a PC/Mac expansion of the music creator from the original ''Mario Paint''.
* FollowTheBouncingBall: When playing music in the music editor; except with Mario instead of the ball.
* MiniGame: "Coffee Break"/"Gnat Attack".
* NoPlotNoProblem: Just paint anything or compose music.
** ''Mario Artist: Paint Studio'', a [[NoExportForYou Japanese-only]] game for the 64DD, which also came with a mouse peripheral.
** ''VideoGame/WarioWare DIY'' is a GameMaker app for DS in the style of ''Mario Paint''.
** ''VideoGame/MarioMaker'' is a GameMaker for the Wii U that's directly inspired by ''Mario Paint''.
* ThemedCursor[=/=]WhiteGloves: The cursor is Mario's white glove.
* WideOpenSandbox: Nothing you need to do but make art.
!!'''The mini-game features examples of:'''
* ActionBomb: The Bomb Flies, which tend to flicker and follow the swatter before exploding.
* BigBad: King Watinga, who appears at the end of every level after you have defeated 100 insects.
* EndlessGame: There are three levels, but they repeat endlessly.
* GigglingVillain: King Watinga, if you die while fighting him.
* TheGoomba: The basic gnats who appear first at the very beginning of the game and do not actually attack you.
* OneUp: Occasionally a hand will float down from the top of the screen, which will give you an extra life if swatted.
* TurnsRed: Again, Watinga.