[[caption-width-right:250:This ain't your weird uncle's ''Leisure Suit Larry''. Come to think of it, neither is it Al Lowe's.]]
''Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude'' is a 2004 video game and the seventh entry in the ''VideoGame/LeisureSuitLarry'' series. The game introduces a new main character -- Larry ''Lovage'', [[GenerationXerox Larry Laffer's nephew]].
Like many other current games, Magna Cum Laude has a free exploration mode where Larry can walk about campus and interact with students and personnel on the premises. In this mode, Larry can search for hidden money or tokens, strike poses to impress girls, and take photos which can later be sold to collectors. At several locations on campus a minigame can be entered, usually by "activating" an object or a person (starting a conversation). The player must win most of the minigames in order to advance. Minigames started by a conversation usually increase the affection of one of the girls; other minigames can provide money or increase "confidence".
The main character, Larry Lovage, is a student at Walnut Log Community College whose purpose is to get on a dating TV show called "Swingles". Uma Yasmine, the hostess of the show won't allow Larry in the show until he proves his seductive wits by obtaining "tokens of affection". Sixteen college girls will conveniently be at his disposal. His aging uncle Larry provides brief advice and appears at a local bar. Larry also must outsmart a sorority house and a fraternity house known as Delta Iota Omicron.
!!''Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude'' provides examples of:
* ADateWithRosiePalms: The masturbation minigame boosts Larry's confidence statistic, which opens up additional scenarios.
* AllGuysWantCheerleaders: Barbara Jo.
* AlliterativeName: Larry Lovage.
* AmazonianBeauty: Zanna.
* AndYourRewardIsClothes: The player needs to buy special clothes in order to get in some places.
* AnimatedActors: One of the chat scenes between Larry Lovage and band geek Harriet has Larry break character to harangue his agent for most of the scene about [[WhoWritesThisCrap how lousy this storyline is]]; if you lose the minigame, Harriet storms off to her trailer at the end.
* BadBadActing: Larry has Bilzarbra, an aspiring film student, read lines from a script in his attempts to seduce her. Her delivery is completely flat and uninterested.
* TheBaroness: Tilly.
* BrawnHilda: Zanna.
* ButtMonkey: Larry. Everyone hates him.
* CampGay: Almost everyone in the Spartacus nightclub. A few are StraightGay and the rest don't get enough lines to have a personality anyway.
* CampStraight: Lucius works as a bouncer at a gay bar and has the stereotypical "gay accent", but ironically he's straight and it's his brother Julius who's gay, who works as a bouncer at Fat Sam's Titty City.
* CanonDiscontinuity: Al Lowe does not consider Magna Cum Laude as part of the series.
* FreudianExcuse: Larry tries to invoke it when the newly-lesbian Ione starts [[WhatTheHellHero chewing him out]] for the behavior that turned her away from men, he tries to claim that he's gay and was trying to see if he could "[[CureYourGays get better]]".
* FunWithAcronyms: The JerkJock frat is named Delta Iota Omicron, usually just called [[Music/RonnieJamesDio DIO]]; tying in with this, all their dialog is [[WaxingLyrical lyrics from]] Music/BlackSabbath songs.
* TheGlassesGottaGo: When attempting to give Ione a makeover, Larry starts with this, [[InvokedTrope mentioning]] that [[GenreSavvy it always works in movies]]. [[SubvertedTrope Then he puts them right back on]]. [[TakeOurWordForIt Apparently]] her squinting is rather bad.
* GranolaGirl: Charlotte's scenario is focused on her efforts to free the science department's lab monkey.
* [[invoked]]IKnewIt: In the Ione L story, when Larry is confronted by several angry people over his earlier actions (see WhatTheHellHero below), he panics and the only thing he can do is shout "I'M GAY!" After shocked reactions from those around, ''Larry's own penis'' has this reaction.
* InformedAttractiveness: Ione is constantly referred to as being unattractive, but the only difference between her and some of the other girls is that she doesn't dress provocatively. Larry "fixes" her with a MakeoverMontage, which ends with her dressing in a leopard-print tube-top, miniskirt, fishnet stockings, high heels and a lot of makeup, as well as removing her [[TheGlassesGottaGo glasses]].
* IntentionallyAwkwardTitle: Magna '''Cum''' Laude.
* LastHetRomance: Larry's attempts to nail Ione results in her becoming lesbian, at least if you follow up on her in an optional storyline.
* LastSecondWordSwap: Walnut Log CC's mascot is a burning bundle of sticks named Twiggy, and there's a banner that says "Home of the F", with the rest of the name blocked by the ''Swingles'' van. At the very end of the game, the crew packs up and leaves, at which point we see the sign in full: Home of the F[[spoiler:laming Logs]].
* LegacyCharacter: Larry Lovage is the original Larry's [[UncannyFamilyResemblance inexplicably]] [[GenerationXerox similar]] nephew.
* MercyMode: ''Magna Cum Laude'' will let you opt out of a minigame if you fail it enough times; however, doing so costs some the secret tokens you need if you want to purchase extras like concept art and Nude Mode.
* MiniGame: About 70% of the gameplay by weight.
* MythologyGag: Filled with them, some blatant and some subtle.
** Most obvious is "Uncle Larry"'s references to his past exploits.
** Lefty's Too is a duplicate of the bar from the first remake of LSL 1.
** The sorority house has a series of plaques on the wall with EGA portraits of women from the old games.
** The convenience store has a wanted picture of Mark the La Costa Lotta plumber from LSL 6.
* RhythmGame: Plenty of the mini-games are based on this.
* ScreamsLikeALittleGirl: Some of the incorrect dialogue choices will cause Larry to do this. One instance is when he learns that he has angered the mob boss father of one of the girls, and another is when he comes across [[spoiler: Lesbian! Ione.]]
* SoapboxSadie: Charlotte's efforts to free the science department's lab monkey initially involve standing around and annoying passersby with a megaphone.
* SophisticatedAsHell: [[spoiler: Leopold the monkey. He has some... interesting things to say in regards to Beatrice, including a poetic soliloquy that incorporates typical slang/euphemisms in regards to his private parts.]]
* StraightGay: Julius works as a bouncer at Fat Sam's Titty City, a strip club filled with women, but he's gay, while his brother Lucius is a CampStraight bouncer at the gay bar.
* TwinThreesomeFantasy: In the "cheerleader ending", Barbara's previously-unmentioned identical twin shows up just for this.
* UngratefulBastard: [[TheRival Russell]] after his makeover.
* UnsettlingGenderReveal:[[spoiler: Koko the troubled mime is a crossdressing boy.]]
* WackyFratboyHijinx: Pretty much the whole point of the setting.
* WhatTheHellHero: The optional "Ione(L[[note]]esbian[[/note]])" storyline in ''Magna Cum Laude'' centers on Larry's behavior having "turned" Ione gay by putting her off of men; when you first meet her after this, she and her girlfriend immediately start berating Larry.
* WhereEverybodyKnowsYourFlame: The Spartacus nightclub.