''Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude'' is a 2004 video game, part of the ''VideoGame/LeisureSuitLarry'' series. The game introduces a new main character -- Larry ''Lovage'', [[GenerationXerox Larry Laffer's nephew]]. This is the 8th game in the series.
Like many other current games, Magna Cum Laude has a free exploration mode where Larry can walk about campus and interact with students and personnel on the premises. In this mode, Larry can search for hidden money or tokens, strike poses to impress girls, and take photos which can later be sold to collectors. At several locations on campus a minigame can be entered, usually by "activating" an object or a person (starting a conversation). The player must win most of the minigames in order to advance. Minigames started by a conversation usually increase the affection of one of the girls; other minigames can provide money or increase "confidence".
The main character, Larry Lovage, is a student at Walnut Log Community College whose purpose is to get on a dating TV show called "Swingles". Uma Yasmine, the hostess of the show won't allow Larry in the show until he proves his seductive wits by obtaining "tokens of affection". Sixteen college girls will conveniently be at his disposal. His aging uncle Larry provides brief advice and appears at a local bar. Larry also must outsmart a sorority house and a fraternity house, known as Dio([[WaxingLyrical whose lines are actually modified lyrics from]] Music/BlackSabbath songs).
!!!Provides examples of:
* ADateWithRosiePalms: The masturbation minigame boosts Larry's confidence statistic, which opens up additional scenarios.
* AllGuysWantCheerleaders: Barbara Jo.
* AlliterativeName: Larry Lovage.
* AmazonianBeauty: Zanna.
* AndYourRewardIsClothes: The player needs to buy special clothes in order to get in some places.
* AnimatedActors: One of the chat scenes between Larry Lovage and band geek Harriet has Larry break character to harangue his agent for most of the scene about [[WhoWritesThisCrap how lousy]] [[LampshadeHanging this storyline is]]; if you lose the minigame, Harriet storms off to her trailer at the end.
* TheBaroness: Tilly.
* BrawnHilda: Zanna.
* ButtMonkey: Larry. Everyone hates him.
* CampGay: Almost everyone in the Spartacus nightclub. A few are StraightGay and the rest don't get enough lines to have a personality anyway.
* TheGlassesGottaGo: When attempting to give Ione a makeover, Larry starts with this, [[InvokedTrope mentioning]] that [[GenreSavvy it always works in movies]]. [[SubvertedTrope Then he puts them right back on]]. [[TakeOurWordForIt Apparently]] her squinting is rather bad.
* GranolaGirl: Charlotte's scenario is focused on her efforts to free the science department's lab monkey.
* MiniGame: About 70% of the gameplay by weight.
* MythologyGag: Filled with them, some blatant and some subtle.
** Most obvious is "Uncle Larry"'s references to his past exploits.
** Lefty's Too is a duplicate of the bar from the first remake of LSL 1.
** The sorority house has a series of plaques on the wall with EGA portraits of women from the old games.
* RhythmGame: Plenty of the mini-games are based on this.
* ScreamsLikeALittleGirl: Some of the incorrect dialogue choices will cause Larry to do this. One instance is when he learns that he has angered the mob boss father of one of the girls, and another is when he comes across [[spoiler: Lesbian! Ione.]]
* SoapboxSadie: Charlotte's efforts to free the science department's lab monkey initially involve standing around and annoying passersby with a megaphone.
* TwinThreesomeFantasy: In the "cheerleader ending", Barbara's previously-unmentioned identical twin shows up just for this.
* UngratefulBastard: [[TheRival Russell]] after his makeover.
* WackyFratboyHijinx: Pretty much the whole point of the setting.